Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Malawi water experiment

More
12 Apr 2008 00:45 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I am looking for someone with a Malawi tank to do a little experiment for me.

If you are using tap water of a ph of 7 or less for your water changes i am looking for some info.

What substrate and rocks are in the tank?
What is the volume of the tank?
How much water is been changed?
What is the ph in the tank before a water change?
If you have a ph meter can you do a large water change, test the water before adding to the tank and then monitor the ph change in the tank.
How long dose it take for the ph to reach the desired level in the tank?
Also any other water parameter's like KH,GH and Nitrate would be a bonus.

So if some one has the time to do this it would be much appreciated.
I dont keep Malawi's so i cant do this my self.

Darren.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2008 00:01 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi I've a Tanganyikan set up so its close to the same parameters as a Malawi setup so i've tried your little experiment and heres the results

ph from tap 7.2, kh 16 gh 3

substrate Coral sand... later added eco-complete african cichlid sand to boost ph to the 9.3 mark
Rocks Coral rock, and granite and limestone mixed rock

Tank Volume is 180l
change of 10-15% of water weekly
ph before water change 9.3 kh 28 gh 9

after water change dropped to ph 8 kh 19 gh5
befor adding eco complete it would take about 2.5 - 3 days to get to ph 8.3 kh 22 gh 7 so added the eco complete and it buffers it at 8.5 so not too much of a change similar to a heavy storm in natural environment.. generally ph rises back to 9.3 in a 1 - 1.5 days along with kh and gh

hope this helps
seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 May 2008 22:08 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers Seamus. I realy appreciate the time you put into this.
The only way i could have done it was in a 10L bucket.

I wanted to see how quick the ph would rise. I am surprised it took 1-1.5 day's. I imagined it would have been quicker. But now i know.

Thanks again, Darren.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds