Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP!! problem with my yellow lab

More
22 Apr 2008 23:00 - 22 Apr 2008 23:21 #1 by john kelly (John Kelly)
i ve just noticedtodat that my male yellow lab has a look of stress a black beard across his mouth and is swimming on his left a bit can somebody help plz

ive changed 30% of the water this evening and tomorrow i will change the filter carbon the nitrate pouch and the amonia pouch { fluval 405 } external filter
ive also added stress coat is there much more i can do to save him as ive just introduced a female about 2/3 weeks ago ????????
Last edit: 22 Apr 2008 23:21 by ().

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2008 00:20 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi white tail acei, any idea of your water readings ph nitrite etc, i ask this because some time ago my yellow lab got this way and i tried evreything thinking it was ill but suddenly i had a lot of new fry in my tank, they seem to go darker when \"the mood takes them\" if you know what i mean... just let us know the water conditions if you can so we can try to help a little more, a pic too would be handy
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
23 Apr 2008 00:35 #3 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi, your male is exhibiting normal breeding behaviour, nothing to worry about, might wanna add another female as one alone with a male in full breeding colour will lead to her being constantly harassed by the male.

More
23 Apr 2008 00:45 #4 by john kelly (John Kelly)
a viedo yeah 5 min tops

More
23 Apr 2008 01:17 #5 by john kelly (John Kelly)
ah no video he is struggling to stay a float swimming in circles facing downwards

More
23 Apr 2008 10:22 #6 by john kelly (John Kelly)
ive just changed my filters in the 405 fluval carbon,nitrate,amonia, cleaned my pads in water .......tank water :laugh: :laugh:

water seems to be running more sommth so maby this will help !!!!

More
23 Apr 2008 10:45 #7 by john kelly (John Kelly)

More
23 Apr 2008 11:08 #8 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Is he swimming like this constantly or is it just sporadic?

I have kept labs for a number of years and never observed this kind of swimming behaviour! In my opinion the fish is sick rather than just acting \"frisky\"! However, I'm not able to identify what kind of sickness it is.

It there a lot of aggression in the tank? and could this be caused by physical damaged caused by other fish?

Regards

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
23 Apr 2008 11:21 - 23 Apr 2008 11:23 #9 by john kelly (John Kelly)
sporadic it seems defo not in barry white form seems to have improved since the filter change but thatwill take time to see maby it could be some sort of swim bladder problem ????????????

not much agression in the tank everybody has there little spot
Last edit: 23 Apr 2008 11:23 by john kelly (John Kelly).

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2008 12:50 #10 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:HELP!! problem with my yellow lab
I would say a swim bladder problem too.
You need to get a test kit & test your water. If you have a water quality problem a water change will only fix it temporarily.

Could also be constipated, maybe try feeding him a couple of cooked peas with the skin removed..

More
23 Apr 2008 13:02 #11 by john kelly (John Kelly)
would peas from a can do ????????????????????????
cooked of course

More
23 Apr 2008 21:53 #12 by goldy (goldy .)
I never tried peas from a can before but if they are cooked and you peel the skins off then I cant see a problem. Just make sure they are not mushy peas. My goldfish gets constipated quite regularly and he swims sideways. Not quite as pronounced as your lab but it might be worth a try the poor thing but peas seem to do the trick. Hopefully you will be able to get him to eat them for you. good luck.

More
23 Apr 2008 22:08 #13 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I havent watched the vid. but it sounds like swimbladder problems.
Do you feed floating foods? If you do Some times fish can suck in air at the surface as they are eating. Greedy feeders will suffer from sucking in a lot of air.
If you have a quarantine tank place the fish in it and lower the water lever to 5-6\". This will take some of the pressure off and he should be less stressed. I have heared an increase in temp. can help although i dont understand why. Dose anyone here know how this can help?
Adding salt could be another option but i dont know how tolerant cichlids are of salt.

Darren.

More
24 Apr 2008 14:12 #14 by john kelly (John Kelly)
tried the swim bladder treatment yesterday seemed to do the trick but my male blue cobalt was trying to eat the lab yesterday evening :unsure: this morning he was dead :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

why does this happen :( :(

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds