Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

why are tanganyikans so hard to get

More
05 May 2008 16:54 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
why are tanganyikans so hard to get, malawis are so easy even most of the dwarf, south american and central american cichlids but it seems near impossible to get any lfs to stock tanganyikans... does anyone know of a good tanganyikan stockist around munster the only one i know of in the west of ireland is aquapaws in Barna and while they do a great stock of all types of cichlid, there has to be another source i could look at but have to be good quality fish, i've got used to the high standards at aquapaws
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2008 00:12 #2 by JohnH (John)

why are tanganyikans so hard to get, malawis are so easy even most of the dwarf, south american and central american cichlids but it seems near impossible to get any lfs to stock tanganyikans

Seamus,

It's, Im afraid, a case of 'horses for courses' here.
Shops stock Malawis because they can sell them the best...they are reluctant to get in stock fish which they will not be able to readily sell - believe me I wish more of the less-common Cichlids were available - especially in North Munster - but they aren't, end of story.
Come to think of it I just wish there were some LFSs in North Munster at all !!!
There is the shop you mention, I agree - but that's in Connaught, and the best part of 1-1/2 hours away from me here (at the speed I drive anyhow, not to mention the pipe-laying STILL going on at Craughwell)...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
06 May 2008 19:09 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I agree with John. I say it's just down to demand. There are a lot more Malawi keepers than Tanganyikan.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 May 2008 23:40 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Bit of a catch 22 here i'm positive if they where brought in they would sell very well yet because they are not regularly asked for they are not ordered.. a lot of fishkeepers i know dont keep them because no one supplies them and when they do its glenkragg who supplies them and then you might only get the odd julie, brichardi, frontosa or tropheus if your very lucky and then when you order them from glenkragg they dont arrive.. typical
Seamus

More
25 May 2008 20:13 #5 by yellow (yellow)
what are yr looking for guys? i work in a shop in waterford and i know of one other in New Ross which usually has a decent choice. Can you not ask your local shop to order them?

Frank

More
25 May 2008 21:36 #6 by Trimax (Trimax)
The problem is that because they are not frequently kept, they are not bred in such high numbers as many of the Malawi standards, this gives them a higher price tag, some common tanganyikans still come at absurdly high prices. I myself stock Tropheus Moori and Duboisi, Julidochromis, Brichardis, Lelupis, Frontosa and others but find that they are slow sellers. A few decades ago Malawi fish were very expensive but because of such a high demand they were bred in higher numbers in captivity, therefore lowering the price. If more people asked me for Tanganyikans I would stock more, but as it stands in the past 6 months say, I've been asked maybe 3 times. I still stock them in the hope people will come round to them, but not in any high degree, I have 2 small tanks dedicated to young Tanganyikans and about 15 dedicated to Malawi. If people show the pet shops and aquatic centers a healthy interest in Tanganyikans then they would be a lot more common and the price tag would drop significantly.

More
26 May 2008 20:48 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Trimax and Yellow, great to hear of others stocking Tanganyikans, where are ye're shops must pay a visit if i can... can you pm me your fish in stock
Seamus

More
26 May 2008 23:00 #8 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
there will be tangs available very soon in shops around ireland there is something in the pipe line and this is not glen krag supplied fish,

More
27 May 2008 00:22 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Cheers Ger,

Great news;) pls keep me informed, changed 2 aquariums now to tangs and ordered a big one for frontosa, so looking for quality stock nit the GlenKrapp,:lol: whoops Glenkragg idea of quality..:unsure:
Seamus

More
27 May 2008 21:23 - 27 May 2008 21:25 #10 by Trimax (Trimax)
sheag35 wrote:

Hi Trimax and Yellow, great to hear of others stocking Tanganyikans, where are ye're shops must pay a visit if i can... can you pm me your fish in stock
Seamus

Petmania Santry, take the Ballymun exit off the M50 coming North, first left turn. Drop in anytime we're open late thursday and friday, mention the ITFS and i'll look after ya. oh and my names Jim. At the moment we have several hard to get tropheus Moori varieties and Tropheus Duboisi. We also have Julidochromis Transcriptus, Frontosa (Juviniles going cheap), and are due in Lelupis, Brichardis and some more rarer fish in the pipeline.
We get about 3000 fish in every friday. Check the Petmania section under the sponsers part of the forum for fish list, have to post a new one soon that ones quite old but it gives you an idea of whats here.
Last edit: 27 May 2008 21:25 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
28 May 2008 11:01 #11 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
Trimax
Jim how are you just to let you know your company is not a sponsor at the present time so please do not put up list till this is sorted.

More
28 May 2008 22:26 - 30 May 2008 20:17 #12 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
I'd have to say that the main reason tanganyikans aren't seen as commonly as malawi's is because tang's are very bad traveller's,i wouldn't say its anything to do with volumes being bred..its just in the past the supplier had difficulty in delivering healthy stock.
We have 9 - 1.2m aquariums holding africans, 3 of these are tanganyikans.
Tanganyikans are proving to be so popular here in PETSTOP that we'll be changing our 2m malawi display into a tanganyikan and might have to give them more sales space
Here's a list of what we at the moment,

julidochromis marlieri zambia
j. regani
j. transscriptus kelemo
Lamprologus leleupi lilac
Lamprologus multifasciatus
lamprologus brevis
lamprologus brichardi
lamprichthys tanganicanus
crprichromis leptosoma kitunba
neolamprologus occelatus
chalinochromis brichardi ndobhoi
tropheus duboisi
tropheus moori
blk calvus
yellow calvus

we're in between orders but still a very nice list of tangs, and at the best prices !!! ;)
anyone have requests?? we'll gladly get them in..

Dayo. ;)
Last edit: 30 May 2008 20:17 by Darkrin (Damien Kane).

More
30 May 2008 19:44 #13 by Trimax (Trimax)
Gerard_Evans wrote:

Trimax
Jim how are you just to let you know your company is not a sponsor at the present time so please do not put up list till this is sorted.

Thansk Gerry, I was unaware of the official situation. I will get onto Our marketing exec about this and hopefully get sponsering.

More
02 Jun 2008 09:39 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Jim thanks for the info. will be in contact

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds