Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Setup

More
24 Nov 2008 13:56 #1 by nonie (leonie troy)
I have been keeping a community tank for about 10 mths now and I am going to set up a 2nd tank for multies.

It is 20l - filter, heater (to be got) I am thinking 25W should be enough, not sure if I need an air pump as the surface of the water can be agitaed form the filter.

The substrate is crushed coral - which I have.

The ph is only 7 comming out of the tap so I am going to get triple PH buffer from my lfs.

A few shells will also be got. Is there any particular size,shape that I need to get?

Apart from the above is there anything else I need to look out for? If anyone has any comments or can anwser any of my questions it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leonie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2008 14:02 #2 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:New Setup
Sounds cool, I recently inherited a group of 12 or so multi fry that I'm growing on in a 12 inch cube.

Very interesting little characters & interesting to see how they have claimed their own areas even as fry.

A small heater is fine for a 20 litre tank. I'm keeping mine at about PH 7.6 at the moment, ideally would be higher but I'd rather not start introducing buffers etc.
7 would be rather low though.

The shells I have are like the snails off marine turbo snails.

Wouldn't bother with an air pump as like you say the filter can agitate the surface.

Good luck with them!

-Patrick

More
24 Nov 2008 14:24 #3 by nonie (leonie troy)
Replied by nonie (leonie troy) on topic Re:New Setup
cheers Patrick,

Sounds like I am on the right track. Just good to hear that from others before I set up!!!

More
25 Nov 2008 23:45 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
sounds like a good set up, they reccommend about 3 snails per fish in any books i've read on them, i myself keep lamp. occelatus and use this rule and it works fine, this is the shells i use, cheap and just the right size for them
cgi.ebay.ie/36-LARGE-EMPTY-SNAIL-SHELLS-...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds