Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Food for malawi cichlids

More
18 Dec 2008 19:28 #1 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
Guys,

Currently I feed my tank

• Ocean Nutrition - Cichlid Vegi Flakes; was advised this would bring out the color in the fish, is seems to have worked
  • New life SPECTRUM Cichlid Formula Pellets

• what else can/should I feed my tank?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
    18 Dec 2008 20:25 #2 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
    You could try frozen bloodworm .

LB

More
    18 Dec 2008 21:00 #3 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
    best food available for cichlids is new life spectrum.

the worst thing to feed african cichlids is blood worms.

More
    18 Dec 2008 21:08 #4 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
    Darkrin wrote:

the worst thing to feed african cichlids is blood worms.

oooh, why is that?

More
    18 Dec 2008 21:15 - 18 Dec 2008 21:15 #5 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
    They're from an environment which is high in Ph and has been for donk's

bloodworm's are mosquito larvae which are harvested from very acidic conditions and would almost certainly contain some 'acidic water' which when digested by Africans would mess up their guts.. leading to bloat.

best not give to them.

dayo.
    Last edit: 18 Dec 2008 21:15 by Darkrin (Damien Kane).

More
    18 Dec 2008 21:54 #6 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
    so what else would you feed them? cant just feed them same stuff day-in~day-out?

More
    18 Dec 2008 22:13 #7 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
    i personally always found they liked the floating doromin sticks myself

More
    18 Dec 2008 22:32 #8 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
    Thanks for the info dayo I never thought of that I should have put a (?) After the suggestion ;)

LB

More
    18 Dec 2008 23:56 #9 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
    New life spectrum is a complete food and only contains quality ingredients..look at any other fish food and the first(main) ingredient is fish meal..meal ? left overs from human foods!!! guts,heads..crap!!
    NLS ingredients consists of Krill, Herring, Algae,Spirulina and lots of oils and vitamins..all listed and good stuff.

If i was feeding frozen I'd feed Mysis shrimp, a crustacean. brine shrimp some times, but B.S is like giving them burgers and chips.. not very healthy..

I only use NLS.
    When fish are feed it, they display colours you never even knew they had.
    Doromin although excepted is aimed at carnivore type cichlids.

Dayo.;)

More
    19 Dec 2008 00:49 #10 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
    I,m with Dayo, New life spectrum is one of the best around for almost all fish

Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
    19 Dec 2008 09:23 #11 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
    Im waiting to get some. Muat try to nip up at the weekend,Im out of fishfood so they are surviving for the past 2 or 3 days on algae wafers and some frozen food (the little cubes that they seem to like).
    Im laid up with the flu so am bedbound for past 2 or 3 days,miserable :(

I must get some NLS food, you reckon it would put the colour back in my cheeks too !?!

Gavin

More
    19 Dec 2008 17:12 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
    you could also try blanched lettuce, courgettes, peas, i used to feed mine tetra pro vegtable mixed with standard tetra pro colur about a 70/30 mix and they seemed to love it.

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
    19 Dec 2008 19:15 #13 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
    I had a look at the list of ingredients on a NLS tub today as i only listed last nite from memory and here is the bulk of the ingredients;

Whole antarctic Krill,
    Whole herring,
    whole squid,
    Spirulina,
    garlic,(anti parisite)
    Veg and fruit extract listed as..
    Spinach,red & green cabbage,pea, broccoli,
    red pepper,zuchini,tomato, kiwi,apricot,pear,
    mango,apple,papaya,peach..

theres other things listed like folic acid and vitamins ..but at least its listed not like other manufacturers.

Its the only food available off the shelve that is 100% guaranteed not to cause bloat with TROPHEUS... that is a recommendation in itself.

you'll defo see the difference when you use this food..cichlids,community or marine.

Dayo.;)

More
    19 Dec 2008 23:27 #14 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
    New Life Spectrum company promo video.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds