Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cichlids overview

More
12 Jan 2009 17:33 #1 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Hi all

Could anyone give us a quick summary of the Cichlids fish family or recommend a good website. I am trying to get a better understanding of this family of fish and am getting a bit confused.

From my digging so far there seems to be 2 lakes in Africa, Northern and South American were these fish live.Can the fish from one reigon mix with fish from another region??

They seem to be a very aggressive family of fish, are there any community type Cichlids?

They all seem to like a high pH is this right and what other water parameters are critical other them Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates??

Which substrate is better sand or gravel?

What is a good starting Cichlid to start with??

All and any other info gladly welcomed.

Cheers
GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 18:57 #2 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
This is a good website for info on Cichlids <<Info. here>>

More
12 Jan 2009 19:41 #3 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Thanks for the infor TED30 will check out

Cheers

GB

More
12 Jan 2009 20:16 #4 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
GB to answer your question (are there any community type Cichlids?)
There is the dwarf Cichlid these are the Apistogramma genus
Here is 1 of mine

These guys are still aggressive but mainly to each other rather than other fish

LB

More
12 Jan 2009 20:29 #5 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
What other fish do you have in your tank LB

GB

More
12 Jan 2009 20:45 #6 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Hmmm let me try to remember

1 Dragonfly larva
2 Armoured shrimp
2 Siamese flying fox
3 Royal farlowella
3 Apistogramma aggazzi
3 Apistogramma borelli
4 Bolivian rams
6 clown loaches
8 bee shrimp
8 endlers
20 rummy nose tetra
And a nice selection of snails/clown loach food ;)

LB

More
12 Jan 2009 20:54 #7 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
LB, dragonfly larva get big and are well capable of taking fish...endlers, tetras and pos. apistos..keep a good eye on them.... They can take adult sticklebacks, european minnows etc i used to keep they as a child fascinating creatures mouthparts are freaky!!!!

More
12 Jan 2009 20:59 #8 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Thanks serratus ive been warned about him I think he will be moved out of the main tank soon as he is getting bigger :)

LB

More
12 Jan 2009 21:04 #9 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Interesting mix LB, do you keep/ breed the snails in the same tank as the fish?/

GB

More
12 Jan 2009 21:13 #10 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Ya GB

Some of the snails in the tank are too big for the young clowns so the continue to breed, there is always some few snails in there but not so many that I need to manually remove them

LB

More
12 Jan 2009 21:22 #11 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Interesting way of feeding the loaches LB, who needs an automatic feeder when you have in-house snails:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GB

More
12 Jan 2009 21:30 #12 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
I also have a brine shrimp Hatcher in the tank so that feeds the endlers
Eventually I will have a tank that looks after its self; hmmm I need automatic water changes next :ohmy: ;) :)

More
13 Jan 2009 19:20 #13 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
If you invent the automatic water changer LB make sure you patent it as you will be a rich man:laugh: :laugh:

GB

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds