Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Thinking of getting oscar..?

• Alex (Alex)
  • Alex (Alex)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2009 17:51 - 10 Apr 2009 18:14 #1 by Alex (Alex)
Thinking of getting oscar..? was created by Alex (Alex)
Always wanted a Oscar.. but never had the space.. and didnt think it would mix with the fish in my tank..!its a 800L tank. my 3, 12" Tinfoil barbs and my 12" irredescent shark are being re-homed tomorrow..! so i finnaly have the space but would he go with my fish... been reading alot about em ect,, i know they are peacful but will eat any smaller fish.. id want to get a 3-4" one.. they had some in aquatic village ill c if they still have them
here is a list of my fish.. and size
3 Bala sharks 12" 8" 4"
1 torpedo barb 5"
4 siemese algae eaters 4"
4 clown loaches 6.5" 6" 5" 4.5"
2 Black skirt tetra's 2.2"
8 Tiger barbs 3"
3 Cory's
1 Common pleco 12"
Bichir(senegalus) 5.5"
2 ropefish 11"
Fire Eel 11-12"
Red tailed shark 3.5-4"
2 African butterfly fish 4"
2 Pearl gouramis 4"

Would a Oscar mix of with these?
is it neccesary for them to be in a tank with sand?
any other important info i should know?

hopefully i can get some feedback before tomorrow! im going tomorrow and if i see one id be very tempted to buy it!!
Thanks

i also have a little pleco with white dots (forget the name) 2.5"
Im probably taking a risk if i get one.. but maybe if he grows up around them he wont view them as food when he gets bigger?
Last edit: 10 Apr 2009 18:14 by Alex (Alex).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2009 20:54 #2 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:Thinking of getting oscar..?
iv found out he would prob consider lots of em a food! thinking of getting black ghost knifefish instead!

More
10 Apr 2009 21:22 #3 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Alex wrote:

iv found out he would prob consider lots of em a food! thinking of getting black ghost knifefish instead!

Good decision Alex

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
11 Apr 2009 22:32 #4 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
putting an oscar in with that lot would be like putting wayne rooney on an under 14s team.just too big and rough.
phil.

More
12 Apr 2009 09:20 #5 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Alex, black ghost knifefish get 18-20"+ and will eventually eat your barbs and tetras....so not the best of choices either, they have a suprisingly large mouth!!!! Only marginally better than an oscar!!!!

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2009 09:39 #6 by Alex (Alex)

black ghost knifefish get 18-20"+ and will eventually eat your barbs and tetras

ahh didnt know that! thanx

very hard to find large fish 10-12" that wont eat smaller fish and plants...:S ? any suggestions?

More
12 Apr 2009 12:36 #7 by Pablo (Pablo -)
I had a fantastic Gold Severum... he grew up surrounded by smaller fish so seems like he never treated them as "food"... Gold Severums can reach 10"+

More
12 Apr 2009 12:39 - 12 Apr 2009 12:46 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
If you want a fish that big then your gonna have to rehome the small fish. One fish rule of thumb, If a fish is small enough to fit into another fishes mouth it usually ends up there.. unless under special circumstances eg: A cichlid raising fry. Even big pleco's who are predominantly vegetarian can snack down a small fish if its hungry, although usually only sick weak or dead fish , But I wouldn't put it past them or any medium-large fish vegetarian or not, fish are opportunistic and will take nutrition where they can get it. You already have a Senegal bichir that will eventually start eating others in that mix.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2009 12:46 by Trimax (Trimax).

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2009 12:48 - 12 Apr 2009 12:55 #9 by Alex (Alex)
Well i dont mean Small fish as in tetra's ect.. i mean my smallish fish,... there not to small i suppose:) iv had the Bichir for 2 years.. he is harmless.... he will eat anything 2" and under.. everything is to big for him..

hmmm ill look up gold severum's! thanks
Last edit: 12 Apr 2009 12:55 by Alex (Alex).

More
12 Apr 2009 12:54 #10 by Trimax (Trimax)
As Pablo pointed out sevs can work with the smaller fish as dithers, Cichlids are enormously variable in disposition, I've seen some pretty mean Sev's! It's kinda down to luck with SA/CA Cichlids, you buy one and just hope it isn't a ba*#!ard!

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2009 12:58 #11 by Alex (Alex)
yeah thanks for the headsup! still deciding if ill get one.. if i do and if he doesnt mix i can always return him..

More
12 Apr 2009 13:01 - 12 Apr 2009 13:03 #12 by Trimax (Trimax)
Alex wrote:

yeah thanks for the headsup! still deciding if ill get one.. if i do and if he doesnt mix i can always return him..

Hey Thats my motto! Ya gotta try these things to learn what works with what.just alwayshave a net ready! best of luck!
Last edit: 12 Apr 2009 13:03 by Trimax (Trimax).

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds