Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Bag of Cichlid nettles?

More
11 Feb 2011 15:38 #1 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Hey all,

At the moment I've been reading around the various sites and forums (and this one obviously!) about cichlids because I have 0 experience and it seems the more I read, the more questions I have, rather than visa versa! i.e. looking into a bag of nettles.

My LFS are not spectacular when it comes to knowledge about fish. Its a job for them rather than a passion and I'm already frustrated because I haven't got a scooby doo about what cichlids would play nice with each other. From what I've read they need to be kept in a cichlid only set up etc etc.

Thanks to some helpful members I've got a fairly decent steer in terms of water parameters etc and I need to be looking at Malawi and

What I'm hoping someone on here can tell me is what a good volume & combination of variety of those types of cichlids would be for a 125l tank.

Any takers?

Cheers,
Neil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2011 15:37 #2 by colly130 (Colin)
frontosa .... thats all you need and throw in some moori :)

More
12 Feb 2011 16:13 #3 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Frontosa and moori are from different lakes and will be too big in the long run for a 125l. Plenty of small tangs will go in there and a lot of mbuna from malawi will not get too big either. I would go for tangs as there will be more shell dwellers to choose from to fit in with this small tank. Do yer research on both lakes and come back with us with a possible stock list and we will let u know.

Mick...:cheer:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
12 Feb 2011 21:55 #4 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
A 125l is quite small for malawis including mbuna.

As Mick says Tangs would be a better choice but you will limited to what you can keep.

Pete

Pm sent

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

More
13 Feb 2011 13:04 #5 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments...I've been doing a bunch of looking around online and based purely on the pictures of various types of cichlids I've come across, I'm leaning more towards the Lake Tanganyika variety...(is that what you mean by "tangs"?)

I had 5 or 6 picked out that were nice looking and colourful but a power cut wrecked all that research because I didn't bookmark the pages. I'll have to do that again.

Looking on YouTube, it seems all the cichlid tanks have a lot of rock and no plants...do the fish not like plants? Or is it just a maintenance thing?

I'll post up some names when I get a chance to do the research again!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 13:16 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Bag of Cichlid nettles?
The fact that plants occur occasionally in Tanks of Africans , namely Tang and Malawi is down to the likes & dislikes of the keeper, few plants are used because of the general rough and tumble of these Fish.

Substrates that are best for the Fish aren't always best for the Plants.

Vallis and Java fern do well but most of the other available plants are thin leaved because they don't need support from strong stems etc because the Water does the supporting and as a result they are easily damaged or eaten.

If you are intending to use Plants, you can keep them in the substrate by placing flat stones around the roots.

Other plants that can take the day to day life of these Fish Anubias and the already mentioned Java Fern can be tied via Cotton thread or Fishing Line to Rocks etc.

Kev.

More
13 Feb 2011 13:45 #7 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Just looked at the seahorse aquarium website (which is a new discovery for me and bloody helpful as LFS websites in this country go) and from what they stock, given the size of my tank and water parameters, it would seem my choices are basically:
Marlieri Cichlid, and/or
Caudopunctatus Cichlid
Kribensis Cichlid
Nanochromis Cichlid

colouration on the last two is pretty nice...

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds