Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

best wild discus ever

More
15 Mar 2012 16:36 #1 by fei (fei)
lots people like discus and have discus in ireland but just few people know and have the wild disucs. i want share these nice fish with all friends who like wild discus .this pictures are my friends tank. i have two myself now, and they are not hard to keep.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 16:56 #2 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
WOW!

I was under the impression that wild fish in general are harder to keep than captive bred, and that they live longer. Apologies if im being an ignorant generalist!

More
15 Mar 2012 17:06 #3 by arabu1973 (. .)

lots people like discus and have discus in ireland but just few people know and have the wild disucs.

This is where you are very wrong my friend, i know lots of people in Ireland that keep wild discus, me being one of them. I have all 3 types of wild discus, brown, green and heckels, i even breeded the brown and royal spotted green discus, now i'm trying to breed the greens and heckels.

More
15 Mar 2012 17:37 #4 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Hate to say it Fei but don't generalize. I had wild discus in the past too.
I think they are far more attractive than the tank bred manufactured fish.
pat

More
15 Mar 2012 18:12 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
have to agree with the lads unfortunately, wild discus are alot more obtainable than you may think and i can name 3 LFS at least where you will most likely see wild discus in their tanks ;)

nice pictures though and cheers for sharing :cool:
have ye any pics of your two or even details please :)

cheers
dave

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
15 Mar 2012 18:22 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Prices, availability and pushing of 'new man-made colours' does lessen the popularity of wild discus..... but still many people keep them and breed them.

Breeding wise, I've had far more success breeding wild discus than I have with captive bred or man-made varieties.

I think that discus are far too pricey still. Prices have dropped an awful lot, but still a tad too high in many places.

Crap mass-produced rubbish (but there is nothing wrong with a good quality man-made or captive discus either, it is the rubbish ones I have issues with), urban myths and snobbery are not doing discus fish any favours.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Mar 2012 22:32 #7 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Fei,
The wild disus are beautiful. What water parameters have you setup for these beauties.
What do they accept as food. Did you get your wild stock from an Irish dealer.
I keep captive bred discus and in my 5 foot tank and love them.
I have never considered keeping wild discus.

Greg

More
16 Mar 2012 17:26 #8 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Very true fei I've got 5 discus and 1 wild and out of the lot the wild is less shy and would eat from your hand and is just generally livelier great pics ;)

More
17 Mar 2012 12:52 #9 by fei (fei)
Replied by fei (fei) on topic Re: best wild discus ever
33'C
ph 6.5,
2 heater, 3 filter
i try tera discus food, but not really like,only blood worm and beef heart now.
anyway, nice to meet you , i like discus, sorry my English is poor.

More
17 Mar 2012 23:29 - 17 Mar 2012 23:30 #10 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
33.. why so high ?

mine.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 23:30 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Mar 2012 23:47 #11 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: best wild discus ever
Absolutely Crackin'' Damian!!

Kev.

More
18 Mar 2012 09:56 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
+1

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Mar 2012 10:48 #13 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Amazing Setup Damien :ohmy:

More
18 Mar 2012 13:52 #14 by fei (fei)
Replied by fei (fei) on topic Re: best wild discus ever
yeah!!!! Damien !!cool tank! nice fish , that is wild !

More
18 Mar 2012 20:32 #15 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)

More
18 Mar 2012 22:06 #16 by woodstock500 (Robert Glascott)
Fei, the discus in the last photo are stunning and thanks for sharing but Damien, that's the best tank I've seen on here- very well done!!

More
02 Jun 2012 23:35 #17 by derek430 (derek)
Hi Guys,

Can you please point me to the right direction of where I can get some Wild / Heckel discus about 3"?

I've seen some nice ones in FFF yesterday and in Seahorse absolutely stunning but they are bit too big, I'm looking for a group of them about 3", if you know anywhere I can get my hand on a few of them please let me know.

Cheers

Derek :laugh:

• MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2012 19:29 #18 by MichaeLO (MichaeLO)
Replied by MichaeLO (MichaeLO) on topic Re: best wild discus ever
..mazing looking..

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds