Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

poorly discus

More
24 Oct 2012 20:13 #1 by serious3 (vince)
scratching my head on this one....1 of my discus is exhibiting classic worm symptons, very thin, stringy feaces, cloudy eyes, mouthing food. so i've wormed the whole tank with kusuri wormer powder done it twice over the past 4 days, no improvement in the sick one then i notice another one is sitting in the plants, fins down and stringy white feaces..... ffs

temp is 28, nitrate,nitrite,ammonia are zero ph is 6.3. they are fed a massive variety of foods from flake,granules,bloodworm,mysis shrimp,stendker discus mix sausage. nothing is fed frozen to them its all thawed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2012 22:03 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
id knock the temp up to 32oC esp. when treating... just make sure they have plenty of oxegen flow.. just not a "washing machine" :silly:
How old is the test kit? could be out of date and your getting false readings.. do you use carbon? how long have you had them? do you know where they came from? what else is in the tank? will all help to build up a picture B)

More
24 Oct 2012 22:47 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Is that Kusuri Wormer Plus?
If so, then 4 days between dosing is not a good regimen.

I'd get a swab taken and get it under a microscope to see what you are trying to treat exactly.

The symptoms described are not just seen in worm infestations.

Bacterial infection in the gut and beef-heart can also cause those symptoms.

First thing to do is to raise the temp somewhat, and then to proceed with several partial water changes over the next few days (say 10% per day).

If a definite causative agent is not identified, then I'd recommend treatment with Waterlife's Octozin for discus.....it is an antibiotic that will also deal with a number of gut parasites.
BUT....you can't use it if you have the Kusuri wormer in the water.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 Oct 2012 07:26 #4 by serious3 (vince)
Replied by serious3 (vince) on topic poorly discus
thanks lads, in the tank are 35 pristella tetra, 12 corys, 1 L18 gold nugget, a commom pleco, 3 angels and 2 boesami rainbows. the discus have been in for 3 months now, all were bought from a private breeder in galway city. the tank is quite heavily planted and test kit is new (2months old) i have stopped feeding them the beefheart mix i got from the breeder as it makes the surface oily, i'm feeding little and often thru the day not just one big lump! very reluctant to raise temp on account of the other fish and plants.

the kusuri says to re-dose after 4 days if needed and that it will bio degrade from the tank in 4 days.

More
25 Oct 2012 09:29 - 25 Oct 2012 09:30 #5 by dave k (david)
Replied by dave k (david) on topic poorly discus
what size tank? how many discus in total ?

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>
Last edit: 25 Oct 2012 09:30 by dave k (david).

More
25 Oct 2012 14:39 #6 by serious3 (vince)
Replied by serious3 (vince) on topic poorly discus
there are 9 discus in total all purchased from the same tank at the same time all approx jam jar lid size, the tank is 500l (5x2x2)

More
25 Oct 2012 20:32 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The Kusuri wormer must be a weaker formulation than I have in mine.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds