Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Discus Wars

More
26 Nov 2012 17:54 #1 by Xali1971 (Xavier Liebaert)
Hi guys,

I decided to try my hand at discus fish to see what it would involve maintenance wise in the next setup i'm planning so i got myself two. I was expecting them to swim in a pair as if schooling. No such luck, they seem to avoid each other. There I was thinking that it was because the number was too low (the lfs advised me to get 6), so off I went and got another 4.

My tank is fairly densely planted. When, I added the 4 new discus, the original pair decided to gang up on them. Result, the 4 new promptly went into hiding in the plant cover, haven't seen them since. All 6 are of a similar size (8 to 10 cm)

Is this normal behaviour? (establishing a pecking order?).

Thanking you for any insight into this

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2012 18:32 #2 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Replied by ghart (Greg Hart) on topic Discus Wars
This is normal behaviour for discus in my experience.
The new guys will eventually be allowed to settle in.
Give it a couple of weeks though.
You may find eventually that one or two of the new guys become the tank kings.

Would be nice to see some photos of your Discus setup.

Greg

More
26 Nov 2012 19:23 #3 by Xali1971 (Xavier Liebaert)
Ok, good to know.
Hope the angelfish survive the tussle. This tank has never been so active since i set it up.

re pics, sure. How do i post them and is there a file size limit?

Time to break out the 180mm macro i guess

More
26 Nov 2012 19:36 #4 by Xali1971 (Xavier Liebaert)
Ok, good to know.
Hope the angelfish survive the tussle. This tank has never been so active since i set it up.

re pics, sure. How do i post them and is there a file size limit?

Time to break out the 180mm macro i guess

More
26 Nov 2012 20:05 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic Discus Wars
to add pic's just click on 'add file' in the attachments section just below the dialogue box where you write your reply. that option will bring you to your computer for uploading straight from your pictures folder.
you can also use www.photobucket.com instead

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds