Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breeding Pair?

More
08 Dec 2012 19:28 #1 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
I came home to find the following behaviour from two Stendker discus in my tank...

s1030.beta.photobucket.com/user/xaribdis...ia/MVI_2484.mp4.html

Very nice, but not sure if the Red/Brown is a male? This is as good a shot as I can get. Wondering what the male vent looks like in comparison to the female?

Thanks,

LoB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2012 19:45 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
They are quite small discus, so looking for fully grown adult male traits won't work.

The vent is the sure sign in even very small discus.

The extended genitals of the male and female are different:
the female has a broad blunt extension; the male has a more tapered extension (almost pointy).

When not extended (ie not spawning), if you look underneath the fish, the females inner concentric circle of the genital region is almost the same size as the outer (an o within an O) ; in the male the inner concentric circle is much smaller than the outer (almost a . within an o )....if you see what I mean.

Also, the angle and length of the body distance between the pelvic fins and anal fin differs: males tend to be shorter and more angled body distance; females tend to be longer and not so angled.

Looking for 'bull-heads', or fin angles and sizes is not a good indication unless the fish are full grown adult wild discus (although you may find such guides do apply in smaller man-made discus). That is a bit like saying you can tell a man from a woman because women have long-hair and men don't !! ;)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
08 Dec 2012 19:54 #3 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Thanks Ian. They are very young and small to try breeding. The blue is definitley a female, because her eggs are all over the rock in the video. The red/brown is trying to fertilise them, but not sure if succeeding. I know that it's not uncommon for two females to form a 'pair' when immature, and even more common for the fish not to get it right first time around, even if genuine pair.

They're still behind me trying away, so I'll attempt to get a better video of the vent on the red/brown.

LoB

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds