Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Rain water

More
21 Feb 2013 21:00 #1 by frankie (francois jacusse)
What's your thought on using rain water in a discus tank?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2013 22:57 #2 by fei (fei)
Replied by fei (fei) on topic Rain water
fish sick,die,lost money,sad。。。。。。。

More
21 Feb 2013 22:59 #3 by fei (fei)
Replied by fei (fei) on topic Rain water
i m only joking, i don t know,read book said rain water is good, check internet said rain water is good, but i never try myself.

More
21 Feb 2013 23:06 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There's nothing wrong with using rain water as a source of water, but you do need to make it is suitable for fish.

How it is collected is important......is it collected from a roof or stored in a container that may contain fish poisons?

If living in an industrial area then the rain may contain dissolved gases such as sulphurous gases.

Remember that rain water is very poor in buffering capacity. Hence, using it on its own is asking for trouble in a discus tank.

If you can ascertain that the water does not contain any fish poisons (eg copper salts or lead salts), then the minimum you need to do is to aerate it very well and then filter it over activated carbon just to bring some stability to it.

It would be advisable to mix it with tap water to get the desired alkalinity and stability. How much? depends on the tap water.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Feb 2013 23:23 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Rain water
Modern-day Discus are not anywhere near as fussy about water as they were in Ian's and my earlier days.
I personally believe they are fine kept in normal tap water (just as long as it isn't as extreme as the stuff coming from my well - but I have even successfully kept and reared Discus in that, just never had any successful spawns).
But...when it comes to breeding - especially wild fish - all bets are off, tap water isn't sufficient (although, having said that, some of the water in parts of both Dublin and Cork, and probably other parts of the country too are excellent).
I once read, and this would need to be confirmed by someone with a much greater knowledge of things scientific than me, that when laid the eggs close immediately in hard, high pH water and do not allow for fertilisation. I have no evidence for this - it's merely hearsay - but I never got more than one successful spawn in my tapwater when I lived in the UK.
So, over to someone better able to explain or refute this.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Feb 2013 23:27 #6 by Ricky (Ricky Croke)
Replied by Ricky (Ricky Croke) on topic Rain water
If you imagine a larger scales experiment of dropping a disc through smoke to a floor it can say alot for rain water. As the disc drops it will come into contact with the smoke. Where most of the smoke dispersed certain elements are now still attached to the disk. If you imagine what is in the air rain falls through then you'll appreciate the dangers, unless you plan on climbing to the top of a mountain in a really remote area then I feel you'll be running too great a risk for a fish that sensitive. RO water, mixed to your exact specifications is a far greater benefit. My discus in maxizoo are kept like this and are extremely healthy, and quite active which is unusual in a retail environment. Hope this helps.

More
22 Feb 2013 03:12 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

If you imagine a larger scales experiment of dropping a disc through smoke to a floor it can say alot for rain water. As the disc drops it will come into contact with the smoke. Where most of the smoke dispersed certain elements are now still attached to the disk. If you imagine what is in the air rain falls through then you'll appreciate the dangers, unless you plan on climbing to the top of a mountain in a really remote area then I feel you'll be running too great a risk for a fish that sensitive. RO water, mixed to your exact specifications is a far greater benefit. My discus in maxizoo are kept like this and are extremely healthy, and quite active which is unusual in a retail environment. Hope this helps.

Ricky has a very valid point here but if you filter your rainwater with activated carbon it should get rid of atmospheric pollutants, i as an extra precaution treat mine with easylife before adding it to the tank, this should give you as good water as you need for even the most fussy wild fish and if you use the likes of preis discus mineral (in the link below) in the rainwater after it is treated its perfect

www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Produktinformat...-Discus-Minerals.htm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds