Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Discus, carbonated hardness, buffering & plants

More
06 Jan 2014 22:07 #1 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Hi guys. Have had issues with algae and my largest discus (he's eating fine, behaving fine but looks blotchy as per prior posts and pics. At same time I've been fighting and losing a battle with beard algae. Two questions:1. aquadur buffering agent to rise kH and discus keeping and 2. Strategy to minimize algal growth while maximizing plant growth

Tank parameters:
Ammonia and nitrites 0
nitrates at 5ppm (or less).
Phosphates at 0.5ppm so no issues with nutrients per se.
GH at 2 and KH at 0! Strange to have no buffering capacity in an established tank but such must be the water supply.
PH at 6.3, tank at 28c
2x54watt t5s and 4 TMC aquagro aqubeam 600 ultimasfor 9 hours per day - just reduced this to 8 hours.
Co2 on 1 hour before lights and off 1 hour before they go out.
Uv sterilizer on from lights out until 11am (12 hours).
375litre tank.

1. Having no buffering capacity is obviously dangerous when it comes to pH fluctuations. Anyone use jbl aquadur plus to buffer water for discus?
2. Am I using too much light for plants given tank size and hence getting algae too. These tmc aquagro aqua beams are supposed to be optimized in terms of the light spectrum but the old watts per gallon doesn't apply when using them...

Had a good chat with Darren at SH today and going to increase amount of c02 from the 20ppm currently. I've never used a buffering agent and just a little cautious about it.

Advice appreciated as ever....

Thanks!

Brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2014 22:43 #2 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
From my experience with planted tank i'd say phosphates and nitrates at any concentration + loads of light = algae
Registering those two means that there is still some unused excess which end as algae food
I would plant some fast growing real water plants like vallisneria gigantea or hygrophila polysperma, they should mop up what's there

More
06 Jan 2014 23:01 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
That's just it Bart, I don't have any excess for them to mop up. I've a 10:1 ratio of nitrates to phosphates which Darren was telling me today is ideal....I will however plant some more fast growing plants....I'm just sick of having to rip up plants covered in algae.....driving me mad! Cheers...

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds