Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Is this discus sick?

More
31 Oct 2014 00:19 #1 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Hi all,
I purchased a few discus yesterday and one of them has a white patch on his fin. I am just wondering if ye think this is a normal patch, or is he sick? If he is sick what should I do? All advice appreciated. I have included a picture of him for ye to see.

Thanks in advance,
dodgerooni
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2014 13:23 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thats normal,
The one behind looks a bit odd?

More
31 Oct 2014 13:30 #3 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
picture is not great but it doesn't look natural at all.

More
31 Oct 2014 16:20 #4 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
The one behind was new too. She is fine. That picture is the best I can get.

More
31 Oct 2014 17:13 #5 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Lovely shaped discus but that patch doesn't look normal to me at all. Does it look fungus like? I'm assuming you didn't quarantine this new addition before adding?

More
31 Oct 2014 17:18 #6 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
o lol didnt see the patch, thought you meant the blue line on the fins, ya, no that patch desnt look right

More
31 Oct 2014 18:17 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
Is it possibly a heater burn.

More
31 Oct 2014 19:21 #8 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
In my experience with heater burns (with my old silver dollar) the wound went dark then got fuzz all over then the burned flesh and fuzz fell off leaving a white indent in the body. It repaired itself though. It took a few days for it to go white but it was a bad burn in my case.

More
31 Oct 2014 19:50 #9 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Thanks lads, keep the info coming. What else could it be. I have him in quarantine getting treated with hexamita at the moment.

More
31 Oct 2014 22:30 #10 by Inza (philippe launois)
hi. nop that does not look good at all. Same for the other one behind it looks like all the colors are gone.

I would suggest you to run back to the place you got theme and ask for your money back. There is no point in buying bad, sick fish. Especially when you know the price for an adult discus :)
This will only lead to more problems down the line.

I may be wrong but it looks like a marlboro discus. These have some white line when they get older but nothing like this.

sorry for the bad news :(

More
31 Oct 2014 23:18 #11 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Is it not natural for discus to lose colours for a few days when settling into a new tank?? I only have these fish two days. The picture was also taken with the light off. I paid €400 for 14 discus. All seemed very healthy in owners tank but the three hour journey home was not ideal.
All are eating and seem healthy. Some of them are beautiful and one is even jumbo size.

More
01 Nov 2014 02:11 - 01 Nov 2014 02:12 #12 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
O did you get them off the guy In Dublin on adverts.ie?

Was looking at 1 or 2 of them myself.
Have you ever had discus before. If not be prepared for a very steep learning curve.

It's alot to take on. How big is the tank and what kind of water changes are you doing?
Last edit: 01 Nov 2014 02:12 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
01 Nov 2014 08:59 #13 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
I never had a heater burn so i cant comment -> my first reaction was fungus but since picture is not clear it is impossible to be sure.
400 euros for 14 fish is too cheap => what you saved you will pay in stress and meds in my opinion. (i certainly hope I am wrong)
The one in the back looks faded, and if i am not mistaken that happens especially when they are old. But i only have young fish so again I am just sharing thoughts only.
The fact that they are all eating is quite reassuring i would say. But keep a close eye on them.

Steven if you want good discus talk to me as i may be selling a few.

More
01 Nov 2014 10:26 #14 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Is this discus sick?
I am not expert by any means on fish illness, but regardless i just cannot make out the issue clearly in the photo and from the previous comments it also seems that others are making as best a guess as they can based on the image, maybe take a few more pictures or a video and post them, i have been looking at the picture for a minute or two and i think i can see normal fin below the blemish, the blemish / damage / infection / necrosis on the fin seems to be working it's way outwards from a center point of different colour to the outer discolouration...... based on that i would be guessing a physical injury that has become infected with a seconday infection whether bacterial or fungal i don't have a clue. but again, that is jut what i am guessing from the picture posted. The one thing i would say though is if you have just added 14 discus to an aquarium you need to keep a very close eye on water conditions, a hugh bioload like that being dumped onto a filter is a recipe for a crash in a tank so daily water changing and testing in the short term would be a good thing

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
01 Nov 2014 10:36 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

I am not expert by any means on fish illness, but regardless i just cannot make out the issue clearly in the photo and from the previous comments it also seems that others are making as best a guess as they can based on the image, maybe take a few more pictures or a video and post them, i have been looking at the picture for a minute or two and i think i can see normal fin below the blemish, the blemish / damage / infection / necrosis on the fin seems to be working it's way outwards from a center point of different colour to the outer discolouration...... based on that i would be guessing a physical injury that has become infected with a seconday infection whether bacterial or fungal i don't have a clue. but again, that is jut what i am guessing from the picture posted. The one thing i would say though is if you have just added 14 discus to an aquarium you need to keep a very close eye on water conditions, a hugh bioload like that being dumped onto a filter is a recipe for a crash in a tank so daily water changing and testing in the short term would be a good thing

oh yes major point if you haven't changed quite a bit of water you're likely to get an amonia/nitrite spike'

More
01 Nov 2014 11:13 #16 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Is this discus sick?
a fish in good clean water has a much better chance of dealing with an injury / illness than a fish swimming in poor quality water

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
01 Nov 2014 11:53 #17 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Thanks joe mc. I have been keeping an eye on the water quality and all seems good at the moment. I have a few filters running and all is good.
Attachments:

More
01 Nov 2014 19:44 #18 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
can you define "keeping an eye"? have you actually tested for ammonia/nitrite and nitrate?

More
01 Nov 2014 19:48 #19 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Nitrate=15
Nitrite=0
PH= 6.8

All Good?

More
01 Nov 2014 21:04 #20 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

More
01 Nov 2014 21:17 #21 by dodgerooni (David O' Neill)
Sorry my bad. Ammonia=0.

I know the water quality was good before bought the new fish as I have a pair that are constantly laying eggs. Of the 14 discus I got, I added 8 to may big tank and put the rest into another smaller tank.
When I spotted the discus with the white patch on the fin, I then put him in a separate tank. I have been keeping discus for two years and learned a few lessons at the start with two deaths, however, everything has been going perfect since then. I have a planted discus tank and the plants help with the water quality.
The discus I added recently all seem to be settling in well and this orange fella is doing fine too as he is moving well and eating too, I am just wondering if this white patch is an infection or something like that.
I suppose time will tell, I will keep him in quarantine for a few weeks and see how he gets on.

I have another problem with my tank involving water clarity,which I don't think anyone here will have the answer to!, but we'll try and get over this obstacle first!!

More
01 Nov 2014 21:33 #22 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Just add some carbon to your filter. This is a hotly debated topic amongst discus owners - carbon or no carbon. There is plenty of literature on both sides but it will def help with clarity. I think I've seen this white patch thing somewhere before but just can't place where or what.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds