Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Discus white poop

More
20 Jul 2015 12:27 #1 by WAA (Wando Araujo)
:crazy:
Hi everyone!
I've being trying to keep a few discus (11) for the past 4 months in my 350l planted fish tank. They are all young and their size will vary between 2" and 4". Tank is about a year old. Temp 29, ph 7.2, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20 (always a problem). Some of my discus are not eating and some are pooping white string feces. I've wormed them with kursuri + (x 2 doses) and I've been treating them for over a week now with general cure: 250mg metro and 75mg prazi at intervals of 48h I change 25% water and add another dose of the treatment but there are no signs of improvement.
Just wondering if I am on the right tracks or is there anything else I should be doing.
Please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2015 13:14 #2 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic Discus white poop
if there not eating sometimes it not internal paracite its there intestine lining comming out. i think octozine is worth a try. also for the size of discus you have a planted tank is probably better when they get older, id go with bare bottom for now as it wil be easier for wcs so you can feed them more. if its worms there another way of treating without chemicals by raising temp to 33 for a week. btw what food are you feeding them ?

More
20 Jul 2015 13:33 #3 by WAA (Wando Araujo)
Hi Trent thanks.
I am feeding them frozen beef heart, frozen bloodworm (once a week) and discus granule sera and hikari.
I have some octozin at hand, should I stop with general cure? Do you suggest a water change before changing treatment?
Thanks

More
20 Jul 2015 16:39 #4 by trent (trent)
id suggest to clean tank (wipe glass in side ect). finnish your treatment. wait a few days while waiting wc heavily then octozine or metro them. imo if it was me i would remove all plants and gravel ect too and not put back in until fish are around 5inch. what beef heart are you feeding stenkler ?

More
20 Jul 2015 16:49 #5 by WAA (Wando Araujo)
Stendker indeed.
I've been thinking of getting rid of the plants and gravel and maybe just have a bit of sand on the bottom of the tank. It might be a good time to it now.
Thanks Trent. Will let you know the progress in a few days.

More
20 Jul 2015 18:42 #6 by trent (trent)
also mussels helps them to start eating again

More
20 Jul 2015 21:23 #7 by WAA (Wando Araujo)
Really!! How to feed them mussels? Do you chop it in little pieces?

More
20 Jul 2015 21:36 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Discus white poop
Just be carefull removing plants and gravel as if u have alot u will get an amonia spike I wouldn't upset the tank too much until these fish are better coz you dont wanna stress sick fish even further

More
20 Jul 2015 21:41 #9 by WAA (Wando Araujo)
Hi Alan, thanks for joining in.
I thought of removing them to a smaller tank for a day or two while doing a bit of a revamp and cleaning on my tank. But not sure if it would upset them even more.

More
21 Jul 2015 01:01 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Discus white poop
Myself I would do a big water change and run some carbon for a few days to remove any medication and then remedicate if u need 2, try get them well before moving and changing ur tank up as the added stress of that might end up being a bad move, that is just my opinion but others here may know better than me

More
25 Jul 2015 21:17 #11 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Hello, in my opinion, you should not overlap medication treatment with discus, or any fish in particular ...I would do at least 2 big water changes in between and run carbon..or wait at least 2 weeks each treatment with water changes. Since your discus are still small, they will benefit with lots of feeding high protein diet and lots of water change to decrease nitrate. Doing these will help achieve good growth potential. I made a mistake of putting juvvies in planted tank when i started (because i want to experience what i see from others!) But its difficult to do both-growing plants and loads of water changes for optimum discus growth.

IMO, moving the discus now to a bare bottom tank with mature filter (preferably smaller than 350L....for now) so that you can feed them more.... do more water changes and less medicine per water ratio...would be better for a few months...while nourishing your plants in the 350L tank...

treatment wise...i suggest...high temp of 32-34 with aquarium salt plus lots of surface agitation for a week or two....OR, Octozin by Waterlife...OR, Seachem Metronidazole (ebay)...AND LOTS and LOTS of good old water change....And plenty of PATIENCE and PRAYERS :angel:

Wish you the best!!

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds