Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Looking for discus

More
29 Sep 2015 15:42 #1 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get 7 small discus to grow on in my lightly planted 125 gallon aquarium.
Has anyone got any suggestions where's good for getting good quality discus about 2.5 inches and how much should I expect to pay for them.
Hope to get a mix of varieties and no intention of breeding them.

I'm in west Dublin but happy to travel for them

Regards
Michael

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2015 16:38 #2 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic Looking for discus
seahorse is a good place to get, especially when they have tony tans in, exspect to pay 20-40e for a turq around 3inch (normallt 25e for 2.5inhc tony tan.). imo id wait wait till they have asian discus in as think there shapes nicer and colours more intense than stenklers but that just me. also the variety of asians is alot more wider

More
29 Sep 2015 19:02 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)
www.donedeal.ie/fish-for-sale/discus/10382018?offset=3 this was only posted a couple of hors ago..

More
29 Sep 2015 21:25 #4 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Hey nomad, thanks for the excellent spot ! I'm looking forward to starting with a group of young discus and growing them on but I appreciate the heads up :)

Trent
I'm not in any rush so happy to wait for the Asian discus to arrive ! Don't know anything about tony tan other than what I looked up just now but reviews are awesome !
Do you know if they can order them in ? Or does it generally take long.
Thanks lots for the response and info !

Michael

More
30 Sep 2015 08:10 #5 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic Looking for discus
sorry but the discus on done deal look stunted and if it 65e each its a bit dear for what tyhey are.

michael seahorse do deliver but most discus keepers go to choose them themselves to pick the biggest, most active and nicest shaped ones. i know sh wouldnt do this but some suppliers might send the weaker less atrachtive fish if you get them to deliver. also small discus need lots of wcs to grow big and healthy which is sometimes hard to do in a planted tank with substrait. you can also order specific strain in sertain sizes if you ask ahead of time.

if your intrested my friend has 2 checkerboards for sale in kildare 3-4inch id say 45e each if you want pm me and il give you his number

More
01 Oct 2015 21:53 #6 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

www.donedeal.ie/fish-for-sale/discus/10382018?offset=3 this was only posted a couple of hors ago..

These do not look good.They are peppered and shapes ate not great.

More
01 Oct 2015 22:01 #7 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

sorry but the discus on done deal look stunted and if it 65e each its a bit dear for what tyhey are.

michael seahorse do deliver but most discus keepers go to choose them themselves to pick the biggest, most active and nicest shaped ones. i know sh wouldnt do this but some suppliers might send the weaker less atrachtive fish if you get them to deliver. also small discus need lots of wcs to grow big and healthy which is sometimes hard to do in a planted tank with substrait. you can also order specific strain in sertain sizes if you ask ahead of time.

if your intrested my friend has 2 checkerboards for sale in kildare 3-4inch id say 45e each if you want pm me and il give you his number

Trent is spot on - best way to "grow" discus is lots of food and water changes. Some experts manage to do without such as John from SH. BUt otherwise if you are not willing to do the work you may want to invest in 3-4 adults with good shapes and you are far more likely to be successful.

More
01 Oct 2015 22:45 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
WHOA sorry I just saw the post that someone was looking for discus and came across some on Donedeal,i think the price of 65 was a base line price or negotioable and the add has them now for less,maybe they checked out the posts on this forum .....

More
02 Oct 2015 12:54 #9 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Looking for discus
Some experts manage to do without such as John from SH. I am just curious to what this means stephane is the other ways you can grow them fast without large water changes and plenty of food

More
04 Oct 2015 11:18 #10 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

WHOA sorry I just saw the post that someone was looking for discus and came across some on Donedeal,i think the price of 65 was a base line price or negotioable and the add has them now for less,maybe they checked out the posts on this forum .....

Nomad a stunted discus will remain stunted so even if you get it for free it will be an ugly discus with high chances of problems. Trust me I did it. Save yourself the the hassle and money and stress.

More
04 Oct 2015 11:23 #11 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Some experts manage to do without such as John from SH. I am just curious to what this means stephane is the other ways you can grow them fast without large water changes and plenty of food

I know Sina and John from Seahorse breed Discus and manage to have high quality fish without going through all the WC's I go through. This is why i mentioned it but don't really know how they do it. My guess is because they have kept them a long time they are a better sense of how much food is enough "not to stunt" a fish without overfeeding. In my case I fear they will be stunted so i consciously overfeed and consequently change more water => join a forum called simplydiscus => loads to learn on it.

More
04 Oct 2015 14:42 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Looking for discus
Cool i get what u mean as they probably have the feeding down to a tee with them sure john grows them in quite small thanks aswel no problem to him

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds