Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water Parameters for Tank Bred Discus

More
08 Jun 2016 09:55 #1 by Ahsan225 (Syed Subhan)
Hi,

Hope you guys are well and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. I have a newish tank ( runing about 6 weeks now. I am looking at keeping discus. however, the PH in the tank is around 7.6. I have put a piece of Bogwood in an attempt to bring the PH down. I have my heart set on a beautiful pair of red turqs at the SHA.

There are mixed opinions re the water parameters for tank bred discus. Can the experienced discus keepers advise in this regard, please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2016 10:44 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
The ph is fine mate the only thing would worry me is the age of ur tank can u give more info on the tank is it planted or bare bottom and what filters are on it and what water maintenance u plan if u want i can pm u my phone number and we can have a chat but dont rush into anything as these are expensive fish to be loosing

More
08 Jun 2016 15:28 #3 by Discus-Killester (Sinisa)

Hi,

Hope you guys are well and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. I have a newish tank ( runing about 6 weeks now. I am looking at keeping discus. however, the PH in the tank is around 7.6. I have put a piece of Bogwood in an attempt to bring the PH down. I have my heart set on a beautiful pair of red turqs at the SHA.

There are mixed opinions re the water parameters for tank bred discus. Can the experienced discus keepers advise in this regard, please?

If you only want to keep Discus, 7.6 is OK-ish.

However, if you want to breed them, it would be better to have your pH lowered to 6 or 6.5, to get more eggs fertilized. Also, your GH and KH should be as low as possible.

Hope this helps.

Sina

More
09 Jun 2016 12:00 #4 by Ahsan225 (Syed Subhan)
For the time being, i would like to keep discus and get the hang of it. Then, once I have more experience with Discus and the room to house a second tabnk, I would get to breeding discus.
What can i do to bring the PH down? what are GH and KH (apologies fir the lack of knowledge(.

Hi,

If you only want to keep Discus, 7.6 is OK-ish.

However, if you want to breed them, it would be better to have your pH lowered to 6 or 6.5, to get more eggs fertilized. Also, your GH and KH should be as low as possible.

Hope this helps.

Sina

More
09 Jun 2016 17:23 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
There are many ways to bring ph down but ud be mad to start messing around with that also if u have lack of knowledge on fish keeping id advise strongly on keeping something other than discus to start off with gh is general hardness kh is karbonate hardness

More
10 Jun 2016 02:39 #6 by Ahsan225 (Syed Subhan)
Well I have kept fish in the past so not a complete novice. Had a 65l cold-water tank running for a year a few years ago. Change in circumstances meant I had to give up on that.

Now I want to get the tank stable and ready for discus and run it for a few weeks before discus are added to the tank.

I will get the water tested for Kh and gh when I visit sha this afternoon.

Kind regards
Syed

More
10 Jun 2016 14:15 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
How big is ur new thank and how many discus are u planning on keeping

More
10 Jun 2016 14:29 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
Just seen ur pm there syed i will ring u later if i get a chance if not i will ring u saturday

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds