Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Flubendazole continued

• S180de (S180de)
  • S180de (S180de)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 16:51 #1 by S180de (S180de)
Flubendazole continued was created by S180de (S180de)
continued from the locked thread

@Damian,
only wish it would do what it says on the tin...
Theoretically it will kill tapeworms. It does so in cows, horses, etc. However, flubendazole remain in the digestive tract of these animals for longer and so has a longer time to be in contact with the parasites. This is especially true for cows and horses. Since they feed on plant matter their digestive tracts are longer in relative terms in proportion to body size never mind actual size than the fish's since they mainly feed on meat(shrimp, mosquito larvae, etc)which is easier to digest, i.e. does not require a long intestine and several stomachs (like cows) to extract be broken down.
It is not a once off treatment. It does not kill the worms eggs. They need about 5-7 days to hatch and that would be the time to kill them and completely eradicate the worms and not after 3 weeks as suggested by the manufacturer. Evidently they want to make money and of course they will suggest to use it every three weeks. That will make ceratin that the eggs hatch and the newly hatched worms will get the chance to lay new eggs and so keep the cycle going.

ok, I get the cow thing where the drug will be present only transiently in the digestive system. but what I don't get is the following then: you put flubendazole into the water of your tank, so I guess it is present in massive amounts, even though probably not at a very high concentration. but at least the fish are constantly exposed to the drug. is it taken up and then further enriched inside of the fish? would the total amount of drug in the water not be enough to kill the worms? - shouldn't be a problem, or am I wrong?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 17:10 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Flubendazole continued
Not quite sure if I understood your question properly but here is what I think you want to know.
Flubendazole will kill all external worms and flukes. These are constantly exposed to the drug. However, since it is fairly slow in killing the worms it is not in the digestive tract for long enough to kill the worms. It also will not kill any eggs present in the tank. It only kills the adult stage of worms hence the need to dose several times.

Is that what you wanted to know?

• S180de (S180de)
  • S180de (S180de)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 17:18 #3 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Flubendazole continued
ok!! got it now. neither my fish nor I had worms so far (well, as far as I know). didn;t know these were exoparasites but instead assumed they were somewhere in the digestive system.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 17:43 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
gill and skin flukes are external. Anchowrms and tapeworms are internal aparasites

More
08 Jan 2008 20:41 #5 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
ROCKY V RUSSEL

Should anyone requiure help please feel free to send me a P.M, This way there will be no problems. all my advice is based on PERSONAL experience of over 50 YearsRegards
Russ.

THE LATEST ROCKY FILM IS COMING SOON TO DVD AND BLUERAY

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 21:22 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
at least somebody has some humor left :laugh: But please no more insults. Rocky wouldn't know how to spell 'Google'

More
08 Jan 2008 21:52 #7 by steven (steven)
Fr. Jack wrote:

ROCKY V RUSSEL

Should anyone requiure help please feel free to send me a P.M, This way there will be no problems. all my advice is based on PERSONAL experience of over 50 YearsRegards
Russ.

THE LATEST ROCKY FILM IS COMING SOON TO DVD AND BLUERAY

Very Productive post once again well done Fr Jack.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2008 00:09 #8 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Flubendazole continued
I think if my altheimers dosn't let me down, that ROCKY won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
09 Jan 2008 10:31 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Hey guys its just a light hearted laugh I could not resist. Even German Holgar though it was funny, may be Steven is American, the humour over there is different.;)

More
09 Jan 2008 10:54 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
apistodiscus wrote:

gill and skin flukes are external. Anchowrms and tapeworms are internal aparasites

Holgar sorry to hijack your thread with Russel, but can you explain where abouts do the Anchor worm lives in side the fish, the body cavity internal organs? where.

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2008 11:28 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Agreed, anchorworms can be both. Given enough time they will dig their way into the internal organs.
Have a read here
freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/g/anchorworm.htm

More
09 Jan 2008 12:06 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
apistodiscus wrote:

Agreed, anchorworms can be both. Given enough time they will dig their way into the internal organs.
Have a read here
freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/g/anchorworm.htm

Quote from link
\"Lernaea burrow into the muscle and gill tissue of fish, and can reach as deeply as the internal organs.\"

Holgar thats taken it out of context they live on the out side naturally they would fall off if they did not achor them self to the fishes flesh, if its a 20 inch koi its very much achored to the surafce, if its a smll fish the achor will be just as deep but natually realative to the proportion of the fish much deeper, itds like dogs gets those things that puff up on the outside of the dog, if you pull it off the dog can get an infection as the ROOT is left in the flesh.

With your logic trees live under ground, as they can up root foundations \"under the ground\":lol:

More
10 Jan 2008 23:38 #13 by chris (chris)
. It's proven that flubendazole works against Hexamita, roundworms, etc, but it's poorly absorbed, slightly toxic and not very effective especially against nematodes. It should really be used against skin and gill flukes. Metronidazole would be much better choice against hexamita, as well as levamisole against nematodes. It’s believed that levamisole can partly destroy the worm eggs. I would personally choose febendasole (Panacur) better than levamisole as its proven more effective. I always treat my discus with praziquantel too because it's the most effective treatment against flatworms. Flubendasole gives much better results if dissolved in a very little ethyl alcohol

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds