Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tankmates for upper level?

More
18 Jan 2008 22:10 #1 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
I'm looking for ideas for discus tankmates that will stay near the surface of the aquarium. I'll have in cardinals, otos, Bushynose catfish and animo shrimp but they'll all mostly stay low down. Problem is, it's an open tank (well planted with high light) and most of the usual suspects are jumpers! Anyone know how high hatchets jump?My tank has a 4-5 inch surround above water level, is that enough to keep them in? What about penguin fish? Any ideas welcome and I'd love to hear your opinion Russell.........................

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2008 22:15 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Chocolate gouramis, but dont think the name gouramis make them easy to keep they are as demanding as discus, and share the same physical and bioenvironment as the king of the freshwater aquarium. (yes I had a bank transfer to say that, well money talks,;) thanks X.)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
18 Jan 2008 22:17 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Havn't kept discus myself,but have kept hatchets.I don't know exactly how high they can jump,but have read reports from seeing them in the wild,and they seem well capable of taking insects from leaves a good distance above the water,so at a guess,probably up to a couple of feet.
Rummynoses www.timstropicals.com/FreshwaterPhotos.a...;Page=RummynoseTetra

seem to be a very popular choice for discus tanks.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Jan 2008 22:23 #4 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
Yeah, I've looked at rummynoses but it was them or the cardinals for me. Anyone keep penguins with discus?????????

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 10:21 #5 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Tankmates for upper level?
Hi Pauly

I keep Cardinal & Emperor Tetra's, These are ideal as they are lager than neons (which will become food) My preference being Emperor Tera's. For clean up crew the pitbull plec. I have 7 in the tank and they keep it immaculate and they stay small. also an Ancistrus Claro but they are active mostly at night time.

More
19 Jan 2008 10:48 #6 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
Do emporer tetras stay in the upper levels mostly? and what do you think of using penguins?

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 11:04 #7 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Tankmates for upper level?
Emperors will stay middle to top. as for penquins it's up to you. but I go for the natural esthetic appeal. but then again I have a biotope.

More
19 Jan 2008 12:19 #8 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
Yeah I wanted to use hatchets but I don't know how much of a gap from the surface is safe

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds