Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Top Class Discus

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • ChrisM (ChrisM)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2008 12:51 #1 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Top Class Discus was created by ChrisM (ChrisM)
I visited a local Discus breeder on Saturday.The setup as you walk in is impressive from the start.A very clean room,both externally and inside the tanks,full of beautifully coloured Discus and the odd pleco too.Every tank had healthy confident Discus displaying nice shape and colour,some sitting over eggs.The tanks themselves were bare bottom and spotless clean,as they undergo an intensive cleaning regime every day.Water is also changed 6 days a week.

The Discus themselves are German (Stendker)and are very well suited to Irish water as they can tolerate and breed in water with a pH of around or slightly under 6.5-relative ease (Discus keepers have to work harder than say Malawi keepers,this is a given).

The advice I received was all based on experience,well successful experience sums it up better.A big part of keeping Discus successfully is understanding what affects them (worms,flukes etc) and how to treat for these problems,which apparently is an ongoing process.This particular breeder has tons of advice on how to treat and can recommend successful treatments to keep your Discus alive and well and breeding.

It is nice to see fishkeepers with such a passion for keeping and breeding such high class fish.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2008 13:26 - 05 Mar 2008 13:26 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
was this in chris's (christine) place?

lampeye
Last edit: 05 Mar 2008 13:26 by lampeye (lampeye).

More
05 Mar 2008 14:19 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
where is this place do they sell to the public.. thinking of getting back into discus after some time away from them

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • ChrisM (ChrisM)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2008 15:50 #4 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Top Class Discus
They do sell to the public but it is view by appointment only as far as I know.I am not a rep for them or anything but I will ask if it is ok to pass on details.

More
05 Mar 2008 15:53 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
please do chris it would be much appreciated, who knows if they keep such quality it would be an inspiration to us all.. hey i wouldn't mind paying to see such a setup and recieving good advise..it worth a lot in this hobby

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
22 Jun 2008 22:15 #6 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
I would love to know where this is too, when I was in the UK I got my discus from a guy in southhampton : www.discus-south.com/index.shtml
He also was by appointment only but the knowledge and stock you can get from people like this is unreal I have always found helpfull. When you have found nice stock its always worth traveling the distance to get hold of such amazing fish,

More
23 Jun 2008 00:53 #7 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Top Class Discus
This is who was being referred to in this post...

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/id,35101/catid,34/

She is selling off her Discus at very reasonable prices, I believe.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds