Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bog wood question

More
19 May 2009 19:09 #1 by keitho (keith o reilly)
quick quesstion guys how long do u have 2 soak bog wood before u
put it in the tank.It has been soaking for about 6 weeks now and every time i change
the water it still turns brown.
thanks for your help
keitho

Dublin 24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 19:19 #2 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
i find it will always turn the water yellowish...no matter how long.

More
19 May 2009 19:24 #3 by keitho (keith o reilly)
would this be ok for african cichlids
keitho

Dublin 24

More
19 May 2009 19:40 #4 by Trimax (Trimax)
Not really tbh, unless its only a small amount and you've plenty of buffering material, ie rocks and sand to keep a stable PH/hardness. Carbon will keep the yellowness out of the water.

More
19 May 2009 19:44 - 19 May 2009 19:44 #5 by keitho (keith o reilly)
Cheers..I have plenty of rocks and sand in the tank and as 4 carbon do u mean in the filter?]

keitho

Dublin 24
Last edit: 19 May 2009 19:44 by keitho (keith o reilly).

More
19 May 2009 19:55 - 19 May 2009 19:58 #6 by Trimax (Trimax)
Yeah, Carbon needs replacement every 2-3 weeks though. It can be in sponge form or loose in a net bag. Will keep the water crystal clear if maintained. You use it with your normal biological filtration media.

I use beta charcoal in my Fluval external, costs me 8 quid in petmania Santry, lasts me a month.
Last edit: 19 May 2009 19:58 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
19 May 2009 20:00 #7 by keitho (keith o reilly)
Cheers guys..tanx for the advice..Keitho

Dublin 24

More
19 May 2009 20:19 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
No Probs anytime. ;)
Jim

More
19 May 2009 20:38 #9 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
i would not advise using bogwood with malawi cichlids as it lowers ph.if you must use it keep an eye on ph and kh!
phil

More
19 May 2009 20:46 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Keitho boil the wood for a few hours in a pot of hot water, it will help the leeching process of tannins.

More
19 May 2009 20:46 #11 by Trimax (Trimax)
pkearney wrote:

i would not advise using bogwood with malawi cichlids as it lowers ph.if you must use it keep an eye on ph and kh!
phil

As he says he has plenty of buffering media to maintain a stable PH. I have never witnessed a little bogwood do any harm in an African cichlid set up, I have done it myself and have several friends who have bogwood with African cichlids. If you keep a pleco with them bogwood helps as the pleco can extract lichitin from it, an essential part of their diet.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds