Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

to try discus or not???

More
19 May 2009 21:31 #1 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
Hi everybody,

Iv been fish keeping for several years, starting off with tropicals before moving on to malawi cichlids which i have a 450 liter mbuna tank, however i also have a jewel trigon 190 and im considering trying something different, I cant decide weather to try marines or Discus! Iv been reading about the species alot and the one topic that troubles me is regarding water changes for keeping discus, I have read that on average a partial water change 3 times a week is the norm?? iv no problem with water changes but more than once a week is hard to maintain.
Anyway just want some advice, Is a trigon 190 sufficent? how many discus could i keep? should i try them???

Thanks guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 21:52 #2 by peter (peter campbell)
im inbetween discus and marines aswell so im looking for opinions!

More
20 May 2009 01:54 - 20 May 2009 01:54 #3 by Trimax (Trimax)
With good filtration, (I recommend double the filtration that your tank requires) then its not necessary to do several water changes a week, once a week will be fine. Do you have an RO unit? TBH Discus are not as hard to keep as they can be made out to be sometimes. They are tricky compared to your average community fish but are hardier then you think! There is also the option of keeping discus using organic aqua requiring monthly water changes only, I have done this before for a year with no problems.
Last edit: 20 May 2009 01:54 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
20 May 2009 07:53 - 23 May 2009 14:22 #4 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
When I started off with arowanas as sample analogy I discovered the smaller you start off in a specimen and it grows I'm your care I discovered that with discus the bigger the specimen you can invest on the latter

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...
Last edit: 23 May 2009 14:22 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 May 2009 13:31 #5 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:to try discus or not???
Discus are real nice fish that deserve and need a little more TLC than other fish but are accessible to anyone really.
If there's one thing i'd recommend it would be to chose your discus well,make sure they eat eagerly and the whole body is plump.
feeding them a little but often during the day with a good rich dry food and once a day frozen food works for me.
i also think that having Discus means building your tank around them,husbandry can be a bit tricky as you don't want too much competition at feeding time as they are slow eaters...
hope this helps.
all d best,
Dimitri

More
20 May 2009 18:25 #6 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
Thanks for all the replies , think il give them a try!

More
23 May 2009 12:09 #7 by Simon_Jeggo (simon jeggo)
Dont see it as Fish/Discus keeping but as water keeping and you wont go far wrong

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds