Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Raising discus Fry

More
22 Jun 2009 23:24 #1 by baan (Fintan Breen)
Hi all,

After failing to sell my bonded pair of Discus (maybe I was looking for too much, still open to offers!), I have decided to try again on raising the fry.

Here's my setup:
300L

2 x Discus
2 x Pearl Guarami
1 x Hatchet Fish
1 x Glass Catfish
6 x Leopard Corys
1 x Plec

Planted with various plants, growing well.

CO2 + fertiliser weekly

The two discus lay eggs approx every 7-10 days, generally after a water change. After a couple of days, we have wrigglers, and then free swimming fry. From a batch of usually 100 eggs, I have never got more than 12 free swimming. However, 24 hours into the free swimming they are gone. I dont know who is eating them. (Probably everything!)

Is there anything I could do to try and give these a little more time to mature? I dont have a seperate tank which I could setup and if I did, I dont have the space. I cant put them into a breeding net tank as they need to feed from the parents, I believe.

Any suggestions as what to do here?

I dont want to get rid of all my other fish...!

What are the chances that it is the parents eating the fry, and therefore, even getting rid of all the other fish will not help?

Thanks,

Fintan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2009 00:28 #2 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Your best option whould be not too sell your other fish but to move them to the second tank. If you move your pair you might never get them to spawn again(they might as well keep going, but small chances). As you said it's gonna be nearly imposible to raise the fry separately. I managed to do it as long as I feed and changed water every 4 hours, including night time!
Most if not all of the time discus eat or don't bother with small batches of fry, they just lay eggs again untill they get a proper batch.
You should still try to feed from day 5 - 10 to help the parents.

More
18 Jan 2010 18:39 #3 by bren (brendan keenan)
I just lost a batch of eggs on day 3 I suspect all were eaten by corys.Can anyone tell me should I keep feeding discus parents when eggs are laid and after they hatch?:( :( :)

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds