Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

feeding discus

More
14 Jul 2009 15:52 #1 by ken2525 (ken bolster)
i have 5 discus 2 large and 3 small and i got frozen blood worms today and wanted to know what else you can feed them

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2009 17:55 - 14 Jul 2009 17:57 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:feeding discus
Hello Ken,

There are members better versed than me to tell you about Discus but I know only too well the folly of feeding them (and many other fish too) only Bloodworms, they can become 'addicted' to them, at the expense of all other foods - so your question shows you are trying for alternatives.

I personally use Tetra Prima, as well as the Tetra Pro wafers but I have to hold my hands up and admit to only having one Discus [a gift] now.

That fish also eats with great gusto frozen Brineshrimp and it loves the newly hatched Brineshrimp left over after feeding all my fry/young fish - I always put too many eggs in the salt mix!

A word of warning about frozen foods in general, you should consider letting them, especially Bloodworms, thaw into a fine mesh net, give them a rinse under the drinking water tap then feed only the worms. Sadly as they aren't bred in the most hygienic of conditions the water they are frozen in isn't perhaps what you would want to be putting in with your fish.

There's a start, others will doubtless come in with their preferences too.

Cheers,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2009 17:57 by JohnH (John). Reason: left out some important words

More
14 Jul 2009 19:22 #3 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
ditto.
I feed them Prima and Fronzen Brine Shrimp.
I find Ocean Nutriton to be to best frozen product but would also like to hear other people opinion of the frozen food

More
15 Jul 2009 00:59 #4 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Replied by Xeon (ioan micu) on topic Re:feeding discus
I feed Sera discus granulat, sera discus blue, tetra prima discus, own mixture of beefhart, frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp..

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2009 14:01 #5 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:feeding discus
Hi,

Same here for frozen food,ocean nutrition is so far my favourite:)
As for feeding Discus,i make a point to get them used to dry food(tetra prima) and only rarely give them bloodworm.
i do feed them 4-5 times a day very little amount of prima and they are now great feeders.
in the past i used to only feed bloodworm to discus and i must say i lost quite a few in that manner:( .
Dimitri

More
15 Aug 2009 00:40 #6 by Mark Evenden (Mark Evenden)
do you guys not find the phosphates get really high when feeding Prima?

I feed my Discus mainly a beefheart mix, occasional frozen blood worm and brine shrimp, I also give them chopped mussel, they love this:)

Discus eat more than we imagine, and it is important IMO to keep them very well fed.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds