Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breeding Pair going cheap for a quick sale.

More
23 Jul 2009 11:44 #1 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)

I have my last pair of brown discus for sale, about 2 years old and they spawn every week. Both aprox 4-5 inches.

€95 for the pair, cheap I know but I have to let them go quick and my alternative is the LFS.

Text me if you want them 085-1511310

Dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2009 11:46 #2 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
because I'm moving house next month...

More
23 Jul 2009 12:02 #3 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
where are you located dave?

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
23 Jul 2009 20:26 #4 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
I'm in Dublin city centre, near christchurch... until mid august when I'm moving.

If you want to make it €100 I'll throw in 5 silver corys as the clean up crew. They are in the same tank and they have never once eaten the discus eggs.

More
23 Jul 2009 23:05 #5 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)

More
24 Jul 2009 08:31 #6 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
Thanks Mick. Probably worth answering some of your questions here on the thread.

Temp is 29 degrees. PH is 6.5 but it fluctuates because my tap water is over 7 and I really have no idea why it becomes more acidic when I add it to the aquarium. I reckon it's the bog wood. I havent checked for hardness but if you want the eggs to hatch the water needs to be soft. Fish are as happy at a ph of 7 as they are at 6.

I have them in a 96l tank with some corys and 2 guppies. No new fish or plants have been added in months.

These are fairly hardy fish and I am a fairly lazy fishkeeper. I change a little bit (10%) of the water every 2 weeks and I use 'easy balance' to keep the water fresh.

Sometimes the eggs turn white, sometimes there are wrigglers. I think it depends on the water conditions but I haven't been monotoring them strictly because I don’t have the time to dedicate to breeding them.

And I use wormer plus about every 2 months which I think helps keep them healthy.

I feed them mostly frozen bloodworm and flakes but they're not picky eaters - I have fed frozen krill and granules in the past. (the guppys are in the tank to provide live baby snacks)

Probably best to collect them some week night but if necessary I'll make some time next weekend.

More
27 Jul 2009 11:28 #7 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
Thanks to Mick for collecting them, hopefully they like their new home.

More
01 Aug 2009 18:45 #8 by Mick0075 (Michael OSullivan)
Well dave,

Have been meaning to get back to you over the last few days, all the fish are doing really well and the discus look amazing in the tank. The corys have also setteled in really well too.

Thanks again, hope the move goes well
Mick

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds