Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Changing Cartridges in an RO Man HMA unit

More
01 Feb 2010 21:12 #1 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi guys,

I noticed my Discus weren't looking great recently after water changes. I'm quite suspect about the water quality (I live in Dublin, near Firhouse) after the recent water shortages and so on, but just to be safe, I want to change the cartridges in my RO Man HMA. It's a 2 Cartridge unit, the HMA-CBR2 and a 5 micron sediment cartridge. (Hope the terminology is correct here with Cartridge, etc!!!)

I've seen the replacement units online but just before I buy - I wanted to check if they are easy to change or should be left to the pro's? What I can buy online is the CBR2 & Sediment Cartridge Set for RO Units.

As I see it - I'll have to take the top off the unit, take out each of the cartridges, and replace with the new ones. But as I haven't ever taken the top off this before - can any of you advise me on what to expect, and let me know if this is easy or should be left to someone who knows what they are doing?

A first time for everything and all that, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Rob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2010 21:31 #2 by JohnH (John)
Hello Robert,

It's a really easy job to do to change the filter inserts but can be a little bit messy as the cylinders come off full of water!

You will need to use the ring spanner which came with the unit to loosen off the filter housing but once it's turning you can finish the job by hand.
You will then need the spanner to again finish the job replacing them - but only just after you have done them up by hand to 'pinch' it - don't use the full force you can exert with the spanner as you might damage the housing next time you come to remove it.

Having said all that, I'm not altogether certain that an ordinary CBR2 filter element is the same as a CBR2 HMA one, I'm possibly wrong here, but it will be worth checking.
Unfortunately RO-Man has now ceased to trade but I think if you check on a Discus forum you'll get the answer.

Hope this helps,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
01 Feb 2010 21:36 #3 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Thanks John,

I had just been Googling RO man - and just saw the spanner. I have no idea where my one is...
So I guess it's just a case of applying gentle force to open it?

Turn it counter-clockwise I suppose?

Thanks,

Rob

More
01 Feb 2010 21:39 #4 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Just did it by hand, no problem.

Thanks again!

More
01 Feb 2010 21:43 - 01 Feb 2010 21:44 #5 by JohnH (John)
Rob,
Is your unit fixed? My RO unit is screwed to the inside of the cupboard and the canisters are unscrewed out of the (fixed) lids - if that makes sense? So I have to turn them from 'right to left' out of the lids (which is, of course, anti-clockwise).
You might have trouble loosening them without the spanner though so if you cannot find it let me know in good time and I'll loan you my RO-Man spanner (you can send me your address by PM) just in case you need it.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 21:44 by JohnH (John). Reason: punctuation

More
01 Feb 2010 21:46 #6 by JohnH (John)
That's great. But, please check if HMA filter is the same as the ordinary CBR2 one (just in case).

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Feb 2010 18:37 #7 by Mark Evenden (Mark Evenden)
CBR2-10 is fine for this, make sure it has the manufacturers lable sealed insideit to ensure it is the real deal.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds