Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Setting up a Discus comunity tank

More
18 Mar 2010 17:48 #1 by houseofmil (Martin Bromell)
Looking at buying a rio 400 and an external filter from mt lfs and using this for discus maybe 4 or 5 and having thesse as the main fish in the thank was wondering if people can tell me how hard this is to achieve???
What else can live with thesse guys ie a shaol type of fish?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2010 18:31 #2 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re:Setting up a Discus comunity tank
rummynose great fish nice colours go great with discus u could have a shoal of 15 to 20

More
18 Mar 2010 18:39 #3 by Zoom (Zoom)
Hi houseofmil,

A 400 litre tank is ideal for Discus you could house 6 Discus no problem in that try and get an over sized external for the tank and you will find the benifits of it, Eheim do some cheap large volume filters in their classic range which aint to expensive 2217 springs to mind

www.aquahobby.com/products/e_eheim_classic_canister_filters.php

As far as shoaling fish go with discus I think rummy nose are the best as they tend to stick together, Rams and some apisto's can also make good tank mates but will put more stress on the stocking levels in bigger numbers.

More
18 Mar 2010 19:00 #4 by houseofmil (Martin Bromell)
have 15 rummys in my 250l tank nice fish.

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2010 21:01 #5 by eire1978 (eire1978)
have u see the asian rummy nose very nice

More
19 Mar 2010 12:15 #6 by houseofmil (Martin Bromell)
no whats the difference? are they tetras too.
how do discus get on with cardinals????

More
19 Mar 2010 12:37 #7 by Pablo (Pablo -)
Discus are still Cichlids and they will have a go at any tetra that fits in their mouth.. the smaller the better.

Having said that I kept Discus for a good while and Rummynoses was my choice too. Great little fish.

Pablo

More
19 Mar 2010 15:29 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Pablo wrote:

Discus are still Cichlids and they will have a go at any tetra that fits in their mouth.. the smaller the better.

Having said that I kept Discus for a good while and Rummynoses was my choice too. Great little fish.

Pablo

Cichlids they be alright.

Up to a certain size, Discus maybe only chase the cardinals but a 9 or 10 inch cichlid (the Discus) may soon see them as EASY food.

I like Cardinals with Discus; they look good until the danger signs show. Another good tetra is emperor.....although they may tend to attract attention a little bit too often.

I have Discus-only tanks and mixed community Discus tanks. Always have had that mix as I'm interested in fish behaviour.

A funny mix that I have always found works well for small to massive Discus is brown african knife fish. Not a biotope tank, but effective over the long term.
I found the same with Uaru (another shy gentle-ish medium-large cichlid and african knife fish as well (especially for breeding purposes).

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2010 16:09 #9 by eire1978 (eire1978)
i never had aproblem between discus and rummynose.Rummynose r bigger then normal small fish and i have only see discus get to 6 or 7 inchs,9 or 10 love to see a pic of that

More
22 Mar 2010 23:16 #10 by houseofmil (Martin Bromell)
thanks guys some food for thought there.

More
23 Mar 2010 00:55 #11 by Xeon (ioan micu)
eire1978 wrote:

have u see the asian rummy nose very nice

I don't think they whould be suitable for a discus tank. The temperature whould be too high for them and the ph too low. They are not beginer fish and they like to be close to their water requirements.

On the other part keeping discus with rummynoses(not the asian) or cardinals ..I've seen them togeder in so many tanks that I whould doub't that you whould have problems keeping them togeder. Discus might chase them if they are really small but even then I don't think they whould manage to get them if you have some bogwood and maybe some plants in the tank

More
23 Mar 2010 01:07 #12 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Some large discus. The tanks where around 40cm high.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds