Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Blood Parrot?

More
05 Aug 2011 23:17 #1 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
Hey i was looking for ideas for my tank and came across these guys they look deadly and a bit dopey at the same time :P. i have a 200 litre tank with 2 angels a dwarf and pearl gourami could i add a blood parrot?? if so do i need to add more then one. your thoughts please.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2011 23:22 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
It's up to you,but personally,I find them horrific. They are a hybrid species that should never have happened,apart from the ethics of them,I think they're just plain hideous.
There are so many other nicer,natural species that you could keep.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
05 Aug 2011 23:26 #3 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
Yeah i was reading that i think there cool looking really friendly ha. so would they do well in that set up? any other fish you could suggest?

More
06 Aug 2011 07:58 #4 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
I hate blood parrots with there mouths that never close and there curved spines. Whack in some corys for the bottom of the tank and u cant go wrong. Some rainbowfish would be nice in there too.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
06 Aug 2011 15:27 #5 by dar (darren curry)
no disrespect to the lads, but mate if you like the fish get it. there are a lot of fish tampered with by man. although this is one of the most depressed looking fish i have ever seen (everyone i see has please kill me writen all over their faces) but it does not mean they don't need to be cared for, the fish is still alive. i could say i despise clown loaches and i would probably sooner house a parrot than a clown, but that's my opinion and does not reflect the thoughts of everyone. who here loves ugly fish? i do. who seen an ugly fish and bought it out of pity thinking "awe you poor ugly sh*t, who could love you? i could" i did. would i buy one of these? no, but if i saw one ill treated that needed to be looked after i would gladly throw it in my tank till i found it a suitable home. these are put on the shelf to atract novices, as most experienced keepers would turn a blind eye to them due to their background and deformed look

my advice would be dont buy it, dont fund this kind of thing, but see if you can get one that needs looking after but only if you can look after it.

which brings us to your question (that is yet to be answered) "our thoughts?" sorry mate i have none

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
06 Aug 2011 16:35 #6 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
Cheers lads ill keep an open mind about them. i did some reading on them and understand why most dislike them dont no why im drawn to them ha. im new enough to this hobbie only a year so in time i could grow to dislike them too. Do u think it would do well in a community tank?

More
07 Aug 2011 17:03 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
There is no real correct answer when it comes to blood parrot because they are not a true species they could do fine in your tank or it could go the other way and they can be very agressive and attack your other fish and kill.my friend here in norway loves them also :-) i say go for it if they make you happy why not and if you see trouble take them out and get rid of them.i would think no more than 2 though.good luck in what ever you do.Also remember no matter what colour you buy them they will most likely turn yellow in a few weeks ;-) my friend bought a red ,blue and green one now they are all yellow :laugh: i though it was funny he was no so impressed :woohoo:

More
08 Aug 2011 07:55 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
being honest i myself hate them as being hybrids but the true wild parrot fish is a stunning fish if you can get your hands on it, I couldnt see a blood parrot going with your fish successfully i think as it matures it may cause grief to your other fish, what about some dwarf cichlids or my fav tetra of all time the congo tetra, some nice corys for the bottom or if looking for a really active medium sized bottom dweller some hoplos, even a nice pair of geophagus

just my opions regard or discard as you will

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
08 Aug 2011 15:02 - 08 Aug 2011 15:22 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

just so you can see what i'm talking about this is the true Parrot cichlid Hoplarchus psittacus, enjoy

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2011 15:22 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: pic

More
08 Aug 2011 15:05 #10 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
cant see anything mate

More
08 Aug 2011 16:27 #11 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Crackin fish alright.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
08 Aug 2011 19:14 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
wow now that is a cracking looking fish ;-)

More
08 Aug 2011 19:20 #13 by fishhead88 (Aaron)
stunning fish.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds