Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Today In The Fishroom~9/05/11 Been a while...

More
05 Sep 2011 23:43 #1 by Aquamojo (Mo Devlin)
Hi folks. Took a short hiatus on posting fish photos. I had a few other photo projects cooking, plus work and yada-yada. Here's a little of what's been happening in the fishroom

First the blues. This is the largest male of the several P. coatzacoalcos that I own and one half of a breeding pair of fish. I have three Nikon SB-900 flash units on this particular fish. Two on the top on on the bottom...and the combination just made these blues POP. What a great looking fish.

Almost didn't print this one. I didn't like the fact that his caudal fin was closed. I did like the angle of his body.

Male and female...and you can see some of the "bait" I used to draw them in to the light.

Paratehraps zonatus. This upward pose is very easy to attain when the blue beast develops an interest in the upper flash. This particular series of photos only used two flash units. One on the top and one that I hand held below the bottom of the tank and pointing up slightly to get some fill. I wanted a more dramatic look.

Mouth open wide...all luck and timing. One thing about digital cameras with flash. When it happens and you click the shutter...you are too late. You almost have to anticipate the shot. Thankfully he generally accommodates.

A little too late...

Same lighting set up...Hericthys Rio Salto. One nasty glass banging fish. My Fishroom Cat, Dweezil, kept walking in front of the tank. The fish is responding to the cat's passing tail. LOL

And finally some new dithers for my tanks. I picked up ten of these at the ACA convention...$15 in an auction. I was just hoping for a nice Silver Dollar type fish...didn't care which particular flavor. I was excited when I saw the spots and the orange mark. The fish is Metynnis lippincottianus. The orange spot is the male. Nice fish...about an inch and a half. Some of the other SD's in the tank where I have them are 4-6" across.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2011 01:43 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
as usual stunning fish and fantastic photos

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Sep 2011 19:24 #3 by Zoom (Zoom)
Great photo's and the fish are excellent specimens, thanks for posting.

More
06 Sep 2011 19:53 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Wow blown away by them pictures truly amazing shots and what quailty fish you have :cool:
Keep them shots coming its pics like this that have inspired me to get a new camera and start snapping,I am gonna get some shots of wild norway soon when i go out and about with my dog :-)Cant wait to see more of your pictures :woohoo:

More
06 Sep 2011 22:48 #5 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Stunning pics again Mo. Missed u man. :lol:

Here ye go Ceech, knock yereself out man. cichlid pics

Follow me up to Carlow

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds