Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nannacara anomala

More
07 Nov 2012 13:31 #1 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Got a pair of these when I was in Dublin Friday. Great little fish. Any experiences appreciated.

Also what leaves are people using for leaf litter?

260l South American Community tank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2012 13:54 - 07 Nov 2012 14:58 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic nannacara anomala
Beech, Oak and Catappa Leaves, here is a bit f info on the latter.

Terminalia catappa (also known as Ketapang or Tropical Almond or Sea Almond or Indian Almond) leaves are becoming very popular as a natural medicine and water conditioner for aquarium use. This guide provides 5 suggestions on how to use them.

Introduction

Ketapang or Sea Almond or Indian Almond or Terminalia catappa leaves are known to most, if not all Asian breeders of blackwater tropical fishes, to be one of the best water conditioners to promote healing and breeding. They are known to have anti-bacteria and anti-fungal properties. Bettas are known to be induced to spawn by just putting a few of the leaves into their tank. Fish suffering finrot or injuries (such as spawning injuries) will definitely benefit from having the leaves in their quarantine tank. But they can be used for the usual aquariums too.

When soaked in water these leaves will leach a strong brown dye that is full of organic acids like humic acids and tannic acids. These may be useful for inhibiting many types of bacteria as well as to detoxify harmful heavy metals found in the aquarium.

It is no wonder that these leaves are often called "Miracle Leaves"

How to use these leaves?

There are at least 5 ways of using them in the aquarium (apart from using them as beautiful leaf-litter in terrariums for frogs, hermit crabs, scorpions and snakes).

Method #1: Directly

This method is simple: Simply put the leaves into your aquarium. After 1-3 days, if your leaves are completely soaked, they will be water-logged and sink. Apart from their benefical effects on the water, they will tan the water slightly (to a clear amber) and provide a very natural stream-bottom look to your aquarium.

How many leaves to use? Well, the simple answer is: As many as you like. But the more leaves you put the darker will be the water and the lower the PH will be (though it is unlikely to drop below 6.0). You can even use the leaves as the substrate in the tank together with bog wood or a tree stump with roots to create a fantastic Amazon look for blackwater fishes.

But as a rule of thumb, you may want to use a couple of small leaves or half to a quarter of a large leaf for a 1 gallon (4 litre) betta tank. If you are spawning the bettas, I would recommend sinking one or more leaves (for the female to hide in) and allowing at least one leaf to float. The male betta will probably build its nest under the floating leaf! With the bubble-nest pushing up the leaf, it will float for long enough for the fries to hatch and become free swimming.

If you are using the leaves for a larger tank (say, for tetras, gouramis, arrowanas, apistos, plecos, or shrimps), I would recommend putting 2-3 large (or 4-6 small) leaves for every 25 gallons (100 litres).

You do not really need to change the leaves until they begin to disintegrate in about 3 weeks to a month. In fact, if you have shrimps or plecos, they will devour them when they start to disintegrate.

Method #2: Filter Bag Method

In this method, you will need to get a filter bag (laundry netting or ladies stockings will also do). Crumple up 2-3 large leaves for every 25 gallons, and stuff it into the filter bag. Leave the bag in a compartment of the Overhead Filter near the inlet into the filter. If you use a Canister Filter, leave it in a bottom tray. (Do not simply stuff the leaves into the canister at the top, or you may end up with damaged impellers). The leaves will begin to tan the water in a couple of days. But it will disintegrate over 14-21 days and should be changed.

Remember that when you use filters in the tank, activated carbon will negate any tanning or good properties from the leaves. So the use of activated carbon is not recommended when using Indian Almond Leaves.

Method #3: Soaking Separately.

In this method, you will need a bucket or tub of water. Soak the leaves in the bucket. After a few days, you can pour the very tan water into your tank, and then top up (the bucket) with fresh water.

You can also add a spoon full of salt into the bucket (as preservative), and also run airpump to provide circulation and aeration for better results.

Using this method, you can leave the leaves in the bucket until the water from it ceases to be amber coloured.

Method #4: Brewing Blackwater Extract

This method is described in a separate guide: How to brew your own catappa blackwater extract

Method #5: Tea Cup Method

In this method, you will make Indian Almond Tea using either Indian Almond Teabags or simply using the leaves directly.

If you use Teabags, make sure that the bags are hygenically produced with water insoluble material. You may buy such teabags on Ebay. Most teabags contain only one to one and a half leaf.

Put the teabag or a large leaf crumpled up into a cup, and add hot water. Leave it to cool. The water in the cup will have the appearance of strong tea by the time the water cools. Add what you need into the tank, and keep the rest (together with the leaf or the teabag) in the refrigerator.

Conclusion

Which method is better? It is really up to you!

Remember to wash the leaves thoroughly if they are not already washed by your supplier. If they are washed, just rinse what you need over running water before using them.

Remember that quality leaves that have not been weather-beaten tend to take longer to leach out their beneficial properties, so be patient. If your leaves are weather-beaten, they may leach tannins very quickly, but most of the beneficial properties would already have been washed off by the rain before they are collected.

Article taken from an online store description.

Kev.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2012 14:58 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
07 Nov 2012 14:00 #3 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Replied by Deaglan (Deaglan) on topic nannacara anomala
Cheers
Using Jbl Catappa already. Must go leaf gathering if it ever dries up a bit.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2012 14:03 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic nannacara anomala
Try looking for some Alder Cones too, these are a great aid by all accounts in getting breeding going.

Kev.

More
07 Nov 2012 14:39 #5 by ricko10 (jamie)
Replied by ricko10 (jamie) on topic nannacara anomala
great little fish and one of the easiest dwarfs to breed. no special water conditioning or feeding needed. if you have a pair and they are in water youve a good chance of a spawn. females, in my experiance, will get super aggressive, so depending on tank size you may need to remove the male after.
jamie

More
07 Nov 2012 15:25 #6 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Cheers
How easy are the fry to rear in your experience? Would they be along the same lines as kribs? I.e feed bbs and liquifry?

More
07 Nov 2012 23:18 #7 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Deaglan hi,
Where did you buy them they are nice little fish?

More
08 Nov 2012 02:06 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic nannacara anomala
Deaglan,
How are things?
Whenever I've bred Nannacaras (only Anomola and Taenia) I never found the need to use anything but newly-hatched Brineshrimp once the fry were free-swimming and looking for food. There is always the danger, as with most Dwarf (and other smaller) Cichlids that the adults, if you leave them (or possibly just the female as Jamie suggests) that the adult(s) get very preoccupied with the food source themselves and the poor fry don't get much of a look in. Also, it has been my experience that when they really get going some of the fry go the same way as the shrimps (not intentionally, of course, but there can often be disastrous consequences).
But, as I say, this doesn't always happen, even so it's as well to be aware that it might.

When Jamie's back on he'll probably be able to add to this.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 Nov 2012 10:15 #9 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
@newbejkjimk got them in Seahorse.

@JohnH Not too bad John. You?
Probably best to move both parents once the fry are free swimming then just to be on the safe side.

More
08 Nov 2012 13:46 #10 by JohnH (John)

@newbejkjimk got them in Seahorse.

@JohnH Not too bad John. You?
Probably best to move both parents once the fry are free swimming then just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't, but just be aware of this and that it could happen.
Parental protection - probably only from the mother (in my experience) is far better than the occasional fry lost 'in error'. You would be much more likely to lose the lot by removing her anyway.

John
ps, not so bad - I miss having somewhere to pop into when I go up to Boyle now though.

ITFS member.

More
09 Nov 2012 10:28 #11 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Bad News!!! Came into work this morning looked in the tank and the male had killed the female :(

Going to rearrange the tank next week. Going for a Biotope set up. Any input appreciated..

More
09 Nov 2012 13:19 #12 by JohnH (John)
That's sad news - still, at worst the male will become a stunning addition to any future blackwater set up you develop.
John

ITFS member.

More
09 Nov 2012 13:27 #13 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
I'll get some more females next time I see some. Cracking little fish.

More
09 Nov 2012 14:12 #14 by JohnH (John)
You ought to really - males always show off their best colouration when there is at least one female present.

Look out as well for Nannacara Adoketa (although I think they have now been re-classified as something else). Even more stunning, although much more demanding - very soft water with VERY low pH required. Well worth the effort though, look them up on goggle.
John

ITFS member.

More
09 Nov 2012 15:21 #15 by ricko10 (jamie)
That is a shame. What size was the tank? I know seahorse still had a couple of females left yesterday.
Jamie

More
09 Nov 2012 17:13 - 09 Nov 2012 17:16 #16 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
2x1x1 60l. I'll not get down to Dublin again for a while. Hopefully before Christmas if I can persuade herself that we have last minute shopping to do :whistle: I'll get a tank done properly for the next one was out collecting beech and oak leaves in a local forest yesterday.

Also if anyone sees decent size MALE Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosa) anywhere could they let me know please.

Last edit: 09 Nov 2012 17:16 by Deaglan (Deaglan). Reason: Add

More
09 Nov 2012 17:53 #17 by ricko10 (jamie)
Seahorse post for around 7€. They also had Bolivian rams :)

More
10 Nov 2012 11:28 #18 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Thanks. Seen the Bolivians in Seahorse, but the females i already have are much bigger. Ill see if i can find a pic.........

More
10 Nov 2012 11:33 #19 by Deaglan (Deaglan)

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds