Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

advice on keeping jack dempsey fish

More
23 Feb 2013 22:21 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
As above how big to they grow and whats the ideal tank size ? what other fish can they be mixed with ?
We are getting another 126L tank with a breeding pair

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2013 22:54 - 23 Feb 2013 22:56 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Please dont take me as being rude but 126 litres is not enough for a pair of these fish.
An adult Jack Dempsey cichlid can grow up to 10 inches (25 centimetres) long and must be provided with plenty of space. Do not house it in an aquarium smaller than 45 gallons (170 litres).This is for 1.Also they are very aggressive fish and you wont find many fish that can mix with it.For your size tank i think its too small personally.I had my pair in a 720 litre tank and would not put them in anything smaller than a 400 litre tank.I know people put them in small tanks but they wont thrieve .imagine living in your toliet , a jack d in a small tank is living in his waste as they are messy fish , they need room to swim and good water quality.There is no garentees what they will mix with but oscars ,texas cichlid, flowerhorn and jaguar ciclhlids are all tough fish that may have a chance with them.Also red devils.But remember these are all highly agressive fish so you would need a big tank.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 22:56 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor). Reason: added more info

More
23 Feb 2013 23:01 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Some great info above!
Done a bit of research on these myself and was advised that id need a 500 litre plus to be on the safe side

Been told they are aggressive but can live with most hardy cyclids (fontoza's, fire mouths etc) as long as they have ample space

When in cramped conditions they will clean house and take everything down in a survival of the fittest scenario

More
23 Feb 2013 23:06 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i have to agree. they're one of those cichlids you can regard as "bruisers" in size and temperment (hence the name). at full size there isn't much i'd keep with them other than other large, aggressive cichlids and large plecos. i have a 180l tank and even if it was bare glass i don't think i'd keep even one jack dempsey in it

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Feb 2013 23:34 #5 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I have had a male jak D wipe out a tank full in one night.3 oscars,2 texas cichlid and a flower horn and was attacking my large pleaco that morning when i found the destruction.It turned out he was breeding with the female.I got rid of them once i bred them and would not get again to mix with other fish only to breed if i go wild catch.

More
24 Feb 2013 00:23 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
i was thinking that 126L seemed a bit small they said they are about 5 inc and they had fry last year can they be kept with tiger barb and how many and what size tank is needed for tiger barb?

More
24 Feb 2013 01:25 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
keep them in groups of no less than 6, otherwise they nip the fins of slower moving fish. more is better and a 126l should hold a fair few. very heirarchical and it's always interesting to watch the regular battles for supremecy that fire up occasionally

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
24 Feb 2013 10:46 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I am not sure if you are asking can tiger barb e kept in a 126 litre tank or can a jack d be kept with them in a bigger tank.
Tiger barb will do good in a 126 litre tank you could have 15 in this tank i wold think and will shoal great.

More
25 Feb 2013 18:03 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I am not sure if you are asking can tiger barb e kept in a 126 litre tank or can a jack d be kept with them in a bigger tank.
Tiger barb will do good in a 126 litre tank you could have 15 in this tank i wold think and will shoal great.

From what I know they are in the same tank.
How much would you pay for a breeding pair.
The reason I am taking this tank is because the people are leaving the country

More
25 Feb 2013 18:05 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Should add the price is very right :)

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds