Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

strange behaviour

More
27 Feb 2013 19:50 #1 by frankie (francois jacusse)
Today I add a pair of apisto bitaeniata to my tank, I already had 1 male borelli with 2 females borelli in the tank. The male borelli has act very strangely around both the male and female bitaeniata like he is ready to breed with either one and he show no interest into the females borelli which have their breeding colour on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2013 20:07 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic strange behaviour
Likely as not the male Borelli is showing an interest in the other new Apistos just because they are newcomers - are they pretty timid and not 'standing up' for themselves? This will often happen when new Apistos are added to existing ones.
In an ideal would you should have not released them until after 'lights out' and in an even more ideal world you oughtn't have added new fish directly to an established tank...but none of us lives in that ideal world.
I would suggest you turn off the lights until tomorrow and watch behaviour after. I would venture to suggest - but with no real evidence to support it - that it won't be too long until the male Bitaeniata has become the dominant fish.
As soon as you're able I think your best plan of action would be to get the two species apart, if at all possible.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Feb 2013 22:27 #3 by frankie (francois jacusse)
The bitaeniata are timid and not standing up for them self at the moment, thought I could have the 2 species in my tank, it's a 350L. Lights are off for the night. will keep an eye on them over the next few day and watch how the situation evolve.

More
27 Feb 2013 23:07 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic strange behaviour
Sorry, I had not realised the size of your tank.
If possible try to create two individual areas - as far apart as is practicable - and hope that each species takes up 'residence' at either end.
A tank the size of yours should easily house two pairs...the Borelli male is 'chancing his arm', I guess.

Let us know how things progress over the course of the next few days.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Feb 2013 23:08 #5 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
You could also change up the tank a little this will make them look for new areas that will be theres in the tank which can be a good thing when introducing new cichlids together.

More
28 Feb 2013 04:45 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
I have to agree with Ceech, the borelli is wondering what this intruder is doing in HIS tank, so a rescape of the tank would have all fish looking for new territories and should calm the situation down very quickly, as Johnh suggested try to have caves at either end of the tank for them to form their own homes in away from each other

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Mar 2013 02:18 #7 by frankie (francois jacusse)
Have changed around around the different cave and leaf liter in the tank. Can see the 2 male fighting for suprematie.
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2013 07:02 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
This will always happen your will always have one male top dog it the same everywhere in nature :-) beautiful looking fish :-)

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds