Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

One male apisto in ram tank?

More
07 Jul 2013 15:48 - 07 Jul 2013 16:05 #1 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
Is it possible to keep One male cockatoo Apisto with a Pair of blue Rams ? its a 90 litre tank ..
Last edit: 07 Jul 2013 16:05 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2013 09:47 #2 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
any brains with tips to give ?

More
08 Jul 2013 10:15 #3 by JohnH (John)

Little in the way of a brain, but...

(Sorry - I totally missed this post)

I should think it would definitely be a 'suck it and see' case - but for what it's worth I would add a pair and not just a male.

Normal precautions such as a 'virtual and psychological' barrier of high plants or wood positioned in the centre of the tank could help the pairs establish territories at either end would help too.

Can anyone add more opinions for bmcg?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 Jul 2013 10:21 #4 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Little in the way of a brain, but...

(Sorry - I totally missed this post)

I should think it would definitely be a 'suck it and see' case - but for what it's worth I would add a pair and not just a male.

Normal precautions such as a 'virtual and psychological' barrier of high plants or wood positioned in the centre of the tank could help the pairs establish territories at either end would help too.

Can anyone add more opinions for bmcg?

John

Thanks John , your Brain is large and round ..

Have to say I really do like some of the apistos available .. However I am now thinking this tank may be too small for the two species ( ram and apisto ) Also the rams spawn quite frequently , so maybe it would be asking for trouble ?

More
08 Jul 2013 10:40 #5 by JohnH (John)

"your Brain is large and round .."

...a bit like the rest of me, then...

A hard call, really - but in all honesty I think your erring on the side of caution is the wisest move.
My answer was really one on a 'just in case' basis.

I've kept two different Dwarf Cichlid species in even smaller tanks - occasionally successfully, other times less so, it really does depend upon how they take to one another.
But, if spawning occurs then 'all bets are off!'.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Jul 2013 10:53 #6 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

"your Brain is large and round .."

...a bit like the rest of me, then...

A hard call, really - but in all honesty I think your erring on the side of caution is the wisest move.
My answer was really one on a 'just in case' basis.

I've kept two different Dwarf Cichlid species in even smaller tanks - occasionally successfully, other times less so, it really does depend upon how they take to one another.
But, if spawning occurs then 'all bets are off!'.

John

yeah the rams spawn regularly ... but Im still tempted by the apistos ! .. By the way , do Rams spawn all the time until they raise a brood ?

More
08 Jul 2013 11:19 #7 by JohnH (John)
If these are the only fish in your tank then I'm assuming they are predating upon the eggs?

They will often have to take a good few 'goes' before they 'get it right' sometimes things work out first time - others take more...very occasionally it never goes to plan and you might then need to change one or the other of the partners.
How quickly after being laid do the eggs disappear?
Is your water soft and fairly acid? Hard alkaline water will adversely affect the fertilisation of most soft-water fish species to some degree or other.
...and, I take it you definitely have a male and a female - yes, even two female Rams will, in my experience, go through the egg-laying process although generally only one female will lay eggs - the other takes on the role of the male (ineffectively).

Maybe we can get some more observations?

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Jul 2013 11:25 #8 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

If these are the only fish in your tank then I'm assuming they are predating upon the eggs?

They will often have to take a good few 'goes' before they 'get it right' sometimes things work out first time - others take more...very occasionally it never goes to plan and you might then need to change one or the other of the partners.
How quickly after being laid do the eggs disappear?
Is your water soft and fairly acid? Hard alkaline water will adversely affect the fertilisation of most soft-water fish species to some degree or other.
...and, I take it you definitely have a male and a female - yes, even two female Rams will, in my experience, go through the egg-laying process although generally only one female will lay eggs - the other takes on the role of the male (ineffectively).

Maybe we can get some more observations?

John

there are tetras and other bits and bobs with them at the mo .. its defo the others eating the eggs .. Yes I have a male and female ! haha ..

Im not too bothered about raising fry , if it happens it happens .. Just wondering will they keep on spawning all year round until they get some young ..

water is neutral

More
08 Jul 2013 11:43 #9 by JohnH (John)
Like most Cichlids spawning is 'seasonal' and they eventually will take a break from it until it all starts up again.
Well, that's what's supposed to happen - as is so often remarked, the fish don't read books and articles so don't always do what's expected of them.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Jul 2013 11:54 #10 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Like most Cichlids spawning is 'seasonal' and they eventually will take a break from it until it all starts up again.
Well, that's what's supposed to happen - as is so often remarked, the fish don't read books and articles so don't always do what's expected of them.

John

very true .. even though I have had several conversations , even lectures with them they just don't seem to listen

More
08 Jul 2013 20:06 #11 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I would leave the apisto out , they would probably just spend all day nipping at each other.In a tank that size you can have all the barriers and territory markers you like they will still fight all day.And probably just stress the entire tank.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
08 Jul 2013 21:28 #12 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I would leave the apisto out , they would probably just spend all day nipping at each other.In a tank that size you can have all the barriers and territory markers you like they will still fight all day.And probably just stress the entire tank.

Stuart.

Think you are right stuart .. I will leave it to the rams , and maybe do an apisto tank when they pass..

any good suggestions to go in the tank with them ? .. just got some small tetras in at the mo so there is room ..

More
09 Jul 2013 16:14 #13 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I love cory's and put them in with everything lol and you'll need some bottom feeders anyway to house keep. ;)

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
09 Jul 2013 18:04 #14 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I love cory's and put them in with everything lol and you'll need some bottom feeders anyway to house keep. ;)

Stuart.

yeah , its gotta be alright ..

whats the best small cory with the higher ram temp ? I have seen juli are good

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds