Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Severums and Angels,a good mix?

More
12 Sep 2013 22:34 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Alright lads,i'm thinking of putting 2-3 Adult Scalare's in a tank that already has 2 Green Severum's in it,one is 4.5ins and the other 6ins roughly......There is plenty of room for 3 large Angels more and personally I can't see why it wouldn't work but after the usual conflicting views online I have that little niggley doubt about it........The tank also has Dwarf Cichlids,Cory's and a Bristlenose in there and all is rosie in the garden at the moment,but they have tons of leaves to chill out in around the bottom half of the tank and the Severum's have the freedom of the rest of the tank (well now that they have eaten the last of the Cardinals they have)......Could adding the Angels who would be hanging around a similar level in the tank to the Severum's lead to trouble? Any help appreciated,cheers

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2013 00:22 #2 by JohnH (John)
Ger,
In the wild they often co-habit.
I fear it's less of a factor of species compatibility and more one of 'personality'.

You have an established regime in your tank at the moment - adding the Angels might (but equally might not) upset this balance.

The suggestion is - as ever - 'suck it and see'. It might be a good idea to have a change-around in there (plants, wood, rocks) just before introducing the Angels and (very carefully) keep an eye on events as they unfold (if they do unfold). If WW3 breaks out be ready to move the Angels back to their tank but (hopefully) if nothing other than a bit of posturing happens then things may be OK.

Keep us informed as to how things work out.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 Sep 2013 10:39 #3 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Used to work fine for me

More
13 Sep 2013 15:44 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
If the "severums" (?...assuming the fish are severums) are small then mixing is often quite easy, but a foot long Heros is a heavy beast and can inflict some damage on the much smaller angelfish.
A full sized discus fish would cope with a large "severum" much better than an angelfish would.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
13 Sep 2013 22:01 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ger,
In the wild they often co-habit.
I fear it's less of a factor of species compatibility and more one of 'personality'.

You have an established regime in your tank at the moment - adding the Angels might (but equally might not) upset this balance.

The suggestion is - as ever - 'suck it and see'. It might be a good idea to have a change-around in there (plants, wood, rocks) just before introducing the Angels and (very carefully) keep an eye on events as they unfold (if they do unfold). If WW3 breaks out be ready to move the Angels back to their tank but (hopefully) if nothing other than a bit of posturing happens then things may be OK.

Keep us informed as to how things work out.

John

Cheers John,yeh I think like most times stocking a tank there's an element of luck involved so i'll give it a go or 'suck it and see' as you say (hmmm now that's new to me) and i'll hope for the best.

I posted this on here kinda hoping loads of people would say like Ski said that they never had a problem with the mix but sure as you said,it would be more about personality rather than compatability.

The Angels I have my eye on are a fair size aswell so this should only help.

Cheers,Ger

More
13 Sep 2013 22:10 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)

If the "severums" (?...assuming the fish are severums)

Sorry Ian what am I missing?

Yeh they are fairly small,one is 6-7ins and the other is 4-5ins and the Angels i'm hoping to add are a decent size and i'm really not a Discus fan.....Always bored me to tears,cheers

Ger

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds