Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best apistogramma for a 90 l community tank ?

More
31 Jan 2015 14:27 #1 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Hi guys,
I have never kept apistos before and i would like to have your advices.
I have 4 silver tips tertas, 14 neons tertas, 2 pygmy corys ( will try to find more), snails and shrimps.
So i m looking for a colourfull apisto, should i get a pair or 2 males or 1 ?
the water is Ph 6.6, Tds 70.

Thanks
anthony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 14:44 #2 by trent (trent)
my favourite is apisto agizzi red fire. i got a pair a while ago and there in ph7.6 and there fine

More
31 Jan 2015 14:56 #3 by JohnH (John)
You would really be best served with a pair of whatever ones you choose - the females are nice, without being as stunning as her partner, apart from when in breeding garb - then she'll take on a lovely hue of yellow.
The Baenschi is a nice fish, but the males can sometimes be a bit aggressive, two of my personal favourites, though are the A. Borelli and A. Pandurini (I think these have now been renamed Panduro).
I suspect there will be more recommendations presently.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Jan 2015 15:19 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I really like the look of the borelli ones but are they bred in the far east and comes with the same issues as the blue rams ?

Thanks
Anthony

More
31 Jan 2015 15:28 #5 by JohnH (John)
As with all Cichlids - I would caution against buying ANYTHING from the far East.
Again, some excellent ones find their way here from Eastern Europe.
Sadly they have suffered a bit in popularity in recent years and - as such - are often a bit difficult to get hold of.
There were some dreadful hybrids coming from 'you know where' purporting to be Borellis but, mercifully, these appear to have stopped reaching our shores now.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Jan 2015 15:52 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks John, i will ask first where there are coming from ;)
Tank bred ones would be ideal but i doubt i will be lucky enough to find them.

Anthony

More
31 Jan 2015 16:12 #7 by JohnH (John)
Most of the fish coming from E. Europe are tank-bred.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Jan 2015 16:39 #8 by swai (Simon)
I have been told most the apistogramma that come in are from czech republic and tank bred. I really like borelli too, aquatic village had a nice selection a while back. I think in a 90 liter community you could have most species of apisto. I would keep a pair, you will see them act more natural and the male showing off to the female.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
31 Jan 2015 16:51 #9 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks Simon.
Happy to see you back :cool:

Anthony

More
02 Feb 2015 08:10 #10 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Being honest as John said it really depends on your taste and which ones are in the store or you can get. I would have 2 females and 1 male though at least to spread agression out . My favourite are apistogramma hongsloi , apistogramma viejita and apistogramma cacatuoides. They also like places to hide like coconut shells and caves . They prefer lower ph but most store bough do well at many ranges. Good luck be sure to post up what you get :-)

More
02 Feb 2015 11:57 #11 by Homer (Kevin)
I have borelli, Agassizi, macmasteri, baenshi
Cacatuoides, trifasciata, and want more but my favourite and trouble free are borelli Paraguay, the ones you don't want are those labelled steel blue.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
02 Feb 2015 12:29 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

I have borelli, Agassizi, macmasteri, baenshi
Cacatuoides, trifasciata, and want more but my favourite and trouble free are borelli Paraguay, the ones you don't want are those labelled steel blue.

Kev.

Are you breeding Kev?

Nice selection you have there. baenshi are difficult to get here at times. My friend loves apistogramma but everything he has is WC . I assume you are breeding from WC ?

More
02 Feb 2015 14:24 - 02 Feb 2015 14:26 #13 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks Kevin, i will see if i can them when i will be in Dublin.

Anthony
Last edit: 02 Feb 2015 14:26 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
02 Feb 2015 14:31 - 02 Feb 2015 14:31 #14 by Homer (Kevin)
No Ceech, all from Czech Republic, Maxizoo have a few nice types at the mo Inc Borelli and baenshii

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 02 Feb 2015 14:31 by Homer (Kevin).

More
02 Feb 2015 14:33 #15 by Homer (Kevin)
Nice stock in MZ and SH at the mo, lovely trifasciata adults in SH.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds