Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Oscar cichlid with a broken jaw

More
20 Feb 2015 17:20 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
My Oscar got into a fight few months ago and i taught nothing of it at the time
he is well able to handle himself but after the fight i noticed he was only feeding from flake food
it looks like he has a broken jaw and gone into a shape like a parrot fish mouth is there anything i can do ?
he is still healthy and eating but i hate seeing him this way.

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2015 22:10 #2 by dubdero (derek kearns)
If u like vet if u don't well leave that to u

More
20 Feb 2015 22:37 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
James if he's eating and is healthy what can ye do he might look a bit different but so do we all ha

More
20 Feb 2015 22:46 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on that. I doubt there's anything that can be done to fix it. As long as he's healthy and seems happy, I see no harm in leaving him as he is.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Feb 2015 00:44 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Maybe if he gets into another fight it might fix itself I feel sorry for him he usto love to jump and take prawns from out of the water

More
21 Feb 2015 09:03 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
once hes eating then he will be ok but watch out also for any possible infection that may occur especially if any of the skin was broken also when it happened. in the wild fish who show signs if illness or injury are often the first to be targeted,thankfully wont be an issue in your tank.

Gavin.

More
21 Feb 2015 09:56 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

once hes eating then he will be ok but watch out also for any possible infection that may occur especially if any of the skin was broken also when it happened. in the wild fish who show signs if illness or injury are often the first to be targeted,thankfully wont be an issue in your tank.

Gavin.

I been looking up Google but don't see much help I taught it might be lock jaw but he is able to move it slightly no sign of infections and most of the fights are started by him so he well able to stand up for himself hopefully it will heal through time

More
21 Feb 2015 11:04 #8 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
He'll have to stick his tongue out to lick the prawn.
If he gets the hunger or forgets how his jaw is now then he might have a go at opening his mouth more which could put it all back in place, the sooner the better.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds