Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

large Oscar

More
05 Mar 2015 10:37 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Has anyone got one for sale I just missed out on breeding pair looking to add to large tank

Thanks
Irish-zx10r

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2015 11:56 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic large Oscar
What size tank do you have out of Interest ? I though i seen a thread before with your tank and you already had allot of big fish in it. Always be careful of adding large oscars as they can kill allot of fish or the other way around could happen very easily. What fish do you currently have now in your tank ?

More
05 Mar 2015 12:18 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have one tank with african cichlids 6 ft over 600 L new setup is south American 660L with 180 L sump + aps2000 uv external filter only big fish are red terrors male 11 inch female 7 inch all rest are around 6 inch I think I be ok with large Oscar

More
05 Mar 2015 12:48 #4 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic large Oscar
If that pair breed then the tank will definitely be too small.
You might be best dividing the tank first for introduction if you go ahead.

More
05 Mar 2015 12:58 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

If that pair breed then the tank will definitely be too small.
You might be best dividing the tank first for introduction if you go ahead.

The rest of the fish will fit into my quartile tank if I run into problems but if it's like everything else it will happen I panic and sort something on the last minute then all will be ok :)

More
05 Mar 2015 13:45 #6 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Watch the red terrors they are highly territorial. What are the other fish at 6 inches i am sure they grow too :-)
11 inch male could kill an oscar easy or the other way around. I would rescape the tank at the very least if you dont split it up. Good luck who knows you might be the exception to the rule :-) If the red terror breed good luck you will have to move everything because they will most likely be killed otherwise or stuck in a corner .

More
05 Mar 2015 15:16 - 05 Mar 2015 21:24 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I get the list up tonight here is link and if I look at my other videos you see there tank mates

Last edit: 05 Mar 2015 21:24 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: video

More
05 Mar 2015 15:30 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
At work now and cant use youtube its blocked doh. get a list up but i would be careful :-) you can always try :-) A bigger one will defo have a better chance than a smaller one. Its easy to find big ones in Norway they are always coming up for sale. My one got to around 13 inches. He even attacked me when i cleaned the tank. Had to smack his ass a few times to teach him a lesson. Mind you jaguar cichilds are allot worse especially when they breed my male before took the top of a friends finger off :-) small piece not the whole top :-)

More
05 Mar 2015 19:30 #9 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Replied by dubdero (derek kearns) on topic large Oscar
Large oscars in aquatic village at moment if your still interested seen three in total last saturday

More
05 Mar 2015 20:22 #10 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
yor link to youtube did not work for me

More
05 Mar 2015 21:23 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

yor link to youtube did not work for me

my list
2 red terror cichlids
2 jack demsey cichlids
1 green terror female
1 Salvani Cichlid
1 Nicaragua Cichlid
1 silver dollar
1 oscar

all are around the 6 inch mark apart from the red terrors
there is two others in this video and i not sure of there name

try this one you see what i have

More
05 Mar 2015 22:21 #12 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic large Oscar
Aequidens tetramerus - Saddle Cichlid.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Mar 2015 22:46 #13 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Aequidens tetramerus - Saddle Cichlid.

John

Thanks John
you only told me this about ten times now lol
i must take note of them.

More
05 Mar 2015 23:23 #14 by JohnH (John)
:)

ITFS member.

More
06 Mar 2015 06:37 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic large Oscar
In my honest opinion James, the weakest out of all of them is the green terror!
I had one for a long time (until.my bstard jd went nut) and she was the most placid of fish going! Id be careful she isnt getting bullied or nipped at in there

More
06 Mar 2015 07:51 #16 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

I had one for a long time (until.my bstard jd went nut) and she was the most placid of fish going! Id be careful she isnt getting bullied or nipped at in there

Thats aøllot of fish for that tank !
As Hammie said the green Terror is the fish i would worry about most. Are you thinking of adding 1 more oscar to this setup now ?
I hope you have good filteration :-) Tank looks nice so it does i found your thread. Still think its allot of fish for that tank but each to there own i cant talk i am overstocked myself lol

More
06 Mar 2015 10:24 #17 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Thats aøllot of fish for that tank !
As Hammie said the green Terror is the fish i would worry about most. Are you thinking of adding 1 more oscar to this setup now ?
I hope you have good filteration :-) Tank looks nice so it does i found your thread. Still think its allot of fish for that tank but each to there own i cant talk i am overstocked myself lol

I can move any fish at any time i think I said about the filter above its 4 ft sump and aps 2000 extrrnal filter I think that's plenty of filteration the main reason I am thinking of bigger fish if the red terror starts to age aggressive the smaller ones won't stand a chance. I am going to make a divider and have it ready just incase its needed

More
06 Mar 2015 12:25 #18 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Sounds like a plam make sure addig another fish does not upset the balance :-) good luck get some pics up if you get new oscar. I love them . I had one that would come right to my hand and rub against it and another who liked to attack my arm lol

More
06 Mar 2015 22:13 #19 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Sounds like a plam make sure addig another fish does not upset the balance :-) good luck get some pics up if you get new oscar. I love them . I had one that would come right to my hand and rub against it and another who liked to attack my arm lol

Its case of trial and error i move fish if they are being bullied and add bigger fish that will be able to stand there own corner
don't know if this is the right way of thinking.

More
06 Mar 2015 22:16 - 06 Mar 2015 22:21 #20 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 22:21 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

More
13 Mar 2015 00:45 #21 by JohnH (John)
James,
I looked in the pet store in Athlone this afternoon - there are two adult Oscars there - I assume they were for sale.
Might be worth you looking in and asking?
John

ITFS member.

More
13 Mar 2015 02:39 - 13 Mar 2015 02:43 #22 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

James,
I looked in the pet store in Athlone this afternoon - there are two adult Oscars there - I assume they were for sale.
Might be worth you looking in and asking?
John

John they are just for show I said its crule keeping them in small tank and he said its 550L there were three but one looked like it was ready to die he also said he was offered 200 euro and said no

Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 02:43 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: spelling

More
14 Mar 2015 17:25 - 14 Mar 2015 17:32 #23 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic large Oscar

.....they are just for show I said its crule keeping them in small tank and he said its 550L there were three but one looked like it was ready to die .....

:crazy:

....south American 660L with 180 L sump + aps2000 uv external filter only big fish are red terrors male 11 inch female 7 inch all rest are around 6 inch I think I be ok with large Oscar.

my list
2 red terror cichlids
2 jack demsey cichlids
1 green terror female
1 Salvani Cichlid
1 Nicaragua Cichlid
1 silver dollar
1 oscar

all are around the 6 inch mark apart from the red terrors
there is two others in this video and i not sure of there name

Last edit: 14 Mar 2015 17:32 by JustinK (Justin Kelly). Reason: copy & paste

More
14 Mar 2015 18:04 #24 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic large Oscar
Fantastic looking Oscar in Seahorse this morning. Black and gold around 6-8 inches. 45 Euro I think

Eric

More
14 Mar 2015 21:23 #25 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic large Oscar
Seen them Friday Eric
Ment to give James a call but forgot

More
14 Mar 2015 21:50 #26 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
If you though his 550litre was too smal and you look at your list of fish . you are greatly overstocked already lol :-)
If you consider when the fish grow if you get another Oscar.
You will have 2 large oscars . 2 large jack dempseys and 2 large red terrors i can see a whole lot of territorial issues in the future,

More
15 Mar 2015 11:25 #27 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

If you though his 550litre was too smal and you look at your list of fish . you are greatly overstocked already lol :-)
You will have 2 large oscars . 2 large jack dempseys and 2 large red terrors i can see a whole lot of territorial issues in the future,

The two Oscars were the full size of the tank so if it was 550L they would have been near 20 inch lol I say the tank was 260 now front tank

More
16 Mar 2015 14:34 #28 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

The two Oscars were the full size of the tank so if it was 550L they would have been near 20 inch lol I say the tank was 260 now front tank

The biggest Oscar i have had was 13 inches in size. They dont grow any bigger than 14 inches usually .... but just remember they do grow fast when they are in good health :-) Most pet stores say there tanks are larger than they are. If your in the store again try to get a measurement of the tank roughly and you can work it out :-)

More
28 Mar 2015 18:23 #29 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
Great looking tank,probably overstocked but I'd be a divil for that meself lol
Nice oscar for sale on lfks forum

More
29 Mar 2015 09:44 - 29 Mar 2015 09:59 #30 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Great looking tank,probably overstocked but I'd be a divil for that meself lol
Nice oscar for sale on lfks forum

i have my name in for all three lol no reply yet. i find with cichlids your better overstock
they don't have the room to fight as much and there is always one cichlid that will stop most fights.
If things go to plan i will get another tank for my red terrors and use a divider once they are ready to breed.
hopefully it will stay like so both my male red terror and female are getting along ok and hopefully it won't become a problem.
here is my latest video.

Last edit: 29 Mar 2015 09:59 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds