Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best food for cichlids

More
09 May 2008 18:42 #1 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hello all,

Just wondering what ye would reckon is the best food for cichlids from south or central america?? don't have any set up for live foods, mayb could create wormery. is there any specific live food that's good?

frozen food, what best for them?
Dried foods, flake or pellet, any particular brands? or should dried foods be kept away from if possible?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2008 19:17 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Really depends on the specific species, lots of central americans are herbivorus some are piceivores (eat other fish) what types do you keep??

More
09 May 2008 20:19 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
don't have any at moment, except for rams, who seem to like bloodworms. Thinking of getting firemouths, haven't decided on anything else, maybe I should figure out what I'm going to get and ask again...

More
10 May 2008 00:42 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Serratus is bang on with what he said, the two youve mentioned will take brine shrimp, mysis, daphina, earthworm (chopped up), whiteworm, microworm etc, i like the tetramin delica or some of the frozen ranges of these the fish seem to love them i generally have a few types and vary them throughout the week, when you decide what your gonna add let us know and i'm sure we'l be able to advise you better
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
10 May 2008 09:36 #5 by zale (Mark carroll)
Hey Orla,

I feed mine New life spectrum Thera A & H2O wafers. And on occasion earthworms frozen prawns & a slice of cucumber.

If you want to try the new life spectrum stuff before buying pm me, cause it ain't cheap.

newlifespectrum

Mark

More
10 May 2008 15:51 #6 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Got the tetramin delicia Bloodworm, to try out. cold water tank loves it, but they're savages anyway will eat anything. trops not as interested. don't like messing with it myself, a bit always ends up on the wall or somewhere, yuk. find frozen suits all my fish at moment, change the type most days, and also feed flake/pellets in mornings.

Looked up the new life food, sounds very good. will try it when I get my stock up and swimming.

One more question, have these two rams, they're not fully grown but almost. when they eat most of the time they take a worm or whatever is on the go and gobble it then spit it out and keep doing this over and over. food gets smaller as they do this, but sometimes they'll just spit it out half way eaten and go and move on to another. They do it more when fed brine shrimp or mysis. Is this normal behaviour?? some times they eat it all at once. thought it might be something wrong with their digestive system but poo looks normal and regular.

any ideas?

More
11 May 2008 01:30 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Orla,
This is perfectly natural behaviour unlike us using knives and forks to cut up our food this taking big bits, spitting it out re taking it in again is getting it to a comfortable size to eat, its also a method of tasting the food and more importantly cleaning it as in the wild they often sift through the detrus on the river/ lake bottom for food and this spitting action is a way of washing off the gunk... as for sometimes spitting it and leaving it, well we humans do it too if something isnt quite to our taste, ot could just be a bit the fish simply thinks is yuck.
Hope this helps
Seamus

More
11 May 2008 09:58 #8 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Thanks Seamus. something less to worry about:)

More
05 Jun 2008 09:52 #9 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hi guy's.
Got two firemouths, two sajicas and two blue acaras. got the new life spectrum thera +A (1mm pellets). feed this in the morning and it seems to go down well with all my fish. cichlids won't touch flake now, (well only if there is nothing else at all on the go).So hopefully it'll do what it claims and keep them healthy.
also feeding them a mix of frozen foods(1-2 blocks daily), cucumber((1-2 weekly), spirulina enriched wafers(1-2 added daily, mainly eaten by bristlenose) and tropic marin immuvit( weekly).
have them all about 2-4weeks, and have already had fry from the acaras, which unfortunatly got eaten by the gourami's with alittle help from the yoyo loaches. but they did a great job trying to defend their fry, given that they and the rams are the smallest fish in the tank.

If you've any comments or thoughts, let me know.

More
05 Jun 2008 13:06 #10 by JohnH (John)
Hello again,
I'll try to contain my answer to just the food question.

I tried the New Life Spectrum Pellets last year - Gavin was working for Tropical World then and had little bags as samples he was passing out.
I got some of these and found them to be great - I was going to buy more...until I saw the prices!
I personally use some Tetra Prima, Tetra DoroMin (broken for smaller Cichlids) and also the Pellets made by Azoo I bought from Petshoponline.
Some years back I would use the pellets made by Hikari - I found these to be very good too.

Frozen Prawns are a favoured food for Cichlids, they can be chopped into smaller 'mouth sized' pieces. I've never found Frozen Prawns in Ireland with Eggs attached, these eggs provide a really nutritious addition to Cichlids' feed.

I must add that these are all recommendations for Central and South American Cichlids, I couldn't possibly comment upon their suitability for Rift Valley African Cichlids - but then you question was relating to CAs and SAs specifically.

Your Blue Acaras - fear not, you'll get many more spawnings from them - they are a quite prolific species...and that's a bit of an understatement!!!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jun 2008 15:09 #11 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Like the new life spectrum at the moment, smells way nicer than flake I was using. also got a big tub of it(150g), works out better than smaller tub. If I had large amounts of fish it would be alot of money, but I just have the three tanks at mo.

will look out for the others you mentioned and try them out too though. Used the Hikari algae wafers before, found them good.

got them frozen prawn...it does go down well. used to shell prawns in a fancy restaurant I worked in, finding eggs was a bit yuky, but if they're good for my fish!can they be fed fresh de-shelled prawn (would be a rather expensive everyday food, but mayb as a treat) or does it have to be treated??one at have at mo is gamma treated.

have you kept blue acara before? one of the pair has lost most of its black stripes and generally looks grayer than the other. is this normal or should I suspect that there is something up?

Orla

More
05 Jun 2008 21:36 #12 by JohnH (John)
Hello again,
For what it's worth I think you are already feeding a balanced diet of 'prepared' foods to your fish but I still think they could well benefit from a little actual 'meaty-type' food, like the Prawns.
Yes, you can - at least I always do - use frozen shelled Prawns for human consumption...the reason why it's available irradiated (or Gamma treated) in Aquatic Shops is for Marine use, there is a sort of yardstick which states that for feeding Marines any Marine water-based foodstruff (like all shellfish, for example) is that if they should have any Marine-based 'nasties' they shouldn't be able to affect Freshwater Fish and vice-versa. So go ahead and use the Frozen Prawns from the Supermarket, I have for years and never had a problem. When I lived in England it was possible to buy whole Prawns frozen, it made using the eggs far less messy as they were frozen in a 'lump' and the outer shell could be easily removed without the eggs ending up everywhere!

You can, for smaller fish, rub the Frozen Prawn meat on a grater and get a very fine meaty pulp, this would obviously depend upon the size of the grater you were using - but there's room for experimentation here.

And yes, I've kept Blue Acaras many times - actually have a pair right now tending what seems to be half-a-million fry!!! (bit of an exaggeration - again!!!).
The dark 'stripes' seem to appear as a spawning colouration, or for just a bit of posturing, and fades when the fish aren't 'stimulated' - I shouldn't worry too much as it will return when they get the 'urge' back upon them.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Jun 2008 19:47 - 09 Jun 2008 20:06 #13 by Trimax (Trimax)
I Use Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni Flakes, Ocean Nutrition Spiralina and Ocean Nutrition Cichlid veggie flakes. For the predatory fish I feed Tropical Quintet frozen food, neons, guppies, white clouds and a twice weekly Bala Shark for the Trimac who is very fussy and won't touch anything unlesss it resembles a bala shark! I have tried starving him before offering him blood worm or smaller fish but he has gone 3 weeks without eating untill I finally gave up and just resigned to feeding him what he eats, 4 - 5 inch Bala's :0
Last edit: 09 Jun 2008 20:06 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
10 Jun 2008 03:44 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Trimax just a little tip.. i've used this on fussy eaters before and its worked try crushing some garlic into your food it drives my guys nuts, its a real appetite enhancer..ok garlic breath might be an issue but it works

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds