Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sick cockatoo apisto

More
30 Jun 2008 22:28 #1 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hi everyone,just came home from work to find one of my apistos sitting in the corner of the tank,his eyes are all swelled and cloudy,he doesnt appear to be any different than usual,other than this,just not moving around,i've removed him from the tank and placed him in a bucket with a heater and air stone running
is this the right thing to do or should i leave him in the tank,all the water readings in the tank are fine and all the other fish are fine,he was fine this morning when i went to work

HELP PLEASE

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2008 23:52 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Paul
Sorry to hear about your apisto. lovely looking fishes... anyhow it sounds like its popeye to me
Pop eye is an infection that can have a few causes such as bacteria, Poor water quality, injury, poor nutrition, tumors, vitamin deficiently. The symptoms are quite clear Eye or eyes protrude from head, cloudy eyes from bacteria infection.
Treatment:Generally hard to treat, u may try a broad spectrum antibiotic.
or it could also be these

Cataracts

Symptoms: White or gray material covering the eyes only.

Treatment: As far as I know, the only treatment specifically designed for this ailment is Eye Fungex by Aquatronics. In the process, special attention should be made to assure that ammonia and nitrite levels stay within accepted measures.

Information: Cataracts are fungal growths on the eyes. Treatment with any aquarium fungicide should work. Its probability increases with water rich in ammonia or nitrates.

Corneybacteriosis

Symptoms: Bulging eyes

Treatment: There are a few commercially available products which treat corneybacteriosis. Penicillin and tetracycline are among them.

Information: Corneybacteria causes swelling in the head which will push the eyes outward. It is caused by overcrowding and water of poor quality, having an excess of ammonia and / or nitrites.

Here are a few links on diseases and possible treatments.. hope it helps

Seamus

fish.orbust.net/fish-disease.html
www.versaquatics.com/freshwaterdiseasecharts.htm
www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Diseases1.htm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
30 Jun 2008 23:54 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
forgot to say do a water change in case its the water quality problem and make sure you treat it before its added to the tank
Seamus

More
01 Jul 2008 00:10 #4 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
cheers seamus,just done about 30% water change,do you think i should put him back in the tank again,i think i probably shouldn't have taken him out in the first place,just started cycling my old two foot tank yesterday out in the shed,dont think it'd be ready to put fish in yet

Thanks

Paul

More
01 Jul 2008 00:22 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Just in case it's anything contagious i'd keep him seperated at least a forthnight, anyway being alone will help his recovery and aid treatment with a general antibiotic (if you have carbon in your filter remove it as it can neutralise treatments) but just keep an eye on the levels of nitrate etc.
Seamus

More
01 Jul 2008 00:31 #6 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
cheers seamus,he's in a bucket at the minute with no filter,just an air stone,i'll test the water in my old tank tomorrow,if its ok i'll put him in there for a couple of weeks
Thanks again seamus

Paul

More
01 Jul 2008 21:31 #7 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hey seamus,put the apisto back in the tank last night,my other tank still isn't ready for fish,was going to try and get antibiotics today but when i got up this morning he was dead in the bottom of the tank,the water is fine and everything,all the other fish are perfect,just have to put it down to bad luck,still,it gives me a reason to call back out to peter and gavin again,see if they have anything nice

Thanks again for all your help

Paul

More
01 Jul 2008 22:26 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Paul, thats a pity about the apisto but in cases like that its v hard to cure them, Gavin and Peter have moved fish to their new premises, which they are hoping to open Sunday or Monday, its on William Street west, off Sea Road, next door to Massimos pub... lovely premises and promises to be better than before
Seamus

More
01 Jul 2008 22:57 #9 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Ya,i was chatting to them at the last meeting,they sorted me out with a problem i was having with my new filter,they were saying they were hoping to be in there today,i think they were talking about having the next meeting in there,sounds like it'll be a nice shop

Cheers

Paul

More
01 Jul 2008 23:55 - 01 Jul 2008 23:56 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Sorry to hear about your apisto, they are a fairly delicate fish and once they go down like that I have rarely seen them recover. The male hongsloi in my avatar at the moment checked out today. He had similar symptoms to yours last night and was dead this evening. He had just fathered his second brood unfortunately the mother (or someone else) ate the first brood and this time I got 4 out with a turkey baster, that mush have frightened her and she promptly turned around and snapped up the rest, but at least I still have the 4 fry.

RIP
Last edit: 01 Jul 2008 23:56 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
02 Jul 2008 11:52 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Sorry to hear that Daragh, looks like a beautiful fish at least with 4 fry you should hopefully have at least a male in there for the future

More
02 Jul 2008 17:36 #12 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
beautiful looking fish daragh,you must have a great camera,i cant get pictures like that with mine,i still have a beautiful pair of agassizzi,havn't seen the female coming out of her cave in the last three days,hopefully their'll be a few fry when she does come out,i have them about a month longer than the cockatoos,gonna get another one at the weekend if they still have them,he was my favourite fish

More
03 Jul 2008 02:18 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
when i was up on sunday he still had a few.. give gavin a call and he'll hold some for you
Seamus

More
03 Jul 2008 13:19 #14 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
cheers seamus,was on to peter last night,he's keeping some for me

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds