Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

id please

More
31 Jul 2008 20:47 - 31 Jul 2008 21:02 #1 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
can anybody id this apisto for me please,i thought it was an aggassizzi but i'm not so sure,its a lot more yellow than my other one and doesn't show any red at all

its also very aggressive,wont let anything within about a foot of it

cheers

Paul
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 21:02 by (). Reason: showing pictures :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2008 21:20 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:id please
looks like a female apisto...if you bought it at the same time from the same tank as the other one prob a female aggassizzi

lampeye

More
31 Jul 2008 21:22 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:id please
have a look here at the difference between the male and female (different species but similar) www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=245

lampeye

More
31 Jul 2008 21:40 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:id please
I have to agree and say that is a female Agassizi.
Female Apistos take on vivid yellow colouring at spawning time and since yours is pretty slim I would venture to suggest it had fairly recently laid eggs...there's even a possibilty that the eggs/fry are still there in your tank somewhere - I'm basing this assumption on the aggressiveness you tell us it is showing now. Female Apistos with eggs/fry almost always display this trait when protecting eggs/fry. When you come to think about it, being so small by comparison to many other fish they would need to be able to 'stand their ground'.
Have a closer look, you may just find new additions to your stock.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Jul 2008 21:54 #5 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
cheers lampeye,i have another pair of aggassizzi,but this female is a completely different colour to the other one,its more orangey than any female aggassizzi i've ever seen,i cant make it out from that site either,they're very hard to id,just noticed 5 or 6 vertical black lines down its back now aswell,just have to keep an eye on it as it matures and see how it turns out

Paul

More
31 Jul 2008 22:03 #6 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Thanks john h,i hope there wasn't eggs,just last night i gutted the tank and added a load of rocks with caves built in all along them,it is acting like its protecting something though,i havn't seen anything and like i say i gutted it,took out everything,if there is eggs there i'll never find them now,i'll just have to wait and see if anything appears in the next few days,i've another female who only just came out of her cave ther for a few seconds,its nothing like the other one,i have a feeling its not an aggassizzi,but i've no idea what it is,i should really stop watching the tank while i'm trying to type,i'll be here all night rambling

Thanks for your help

Paul

More
31 Jul 2008 22:39 - 01 Aug 2008 02:02 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Looks like female Agazzisi to me, but I am no expert on id'ing Apisto females, believe me. Just took some quick snaps of some of mine.

I am sure of the ID on this fish, which we thought at one stage may have been a male, it laid eggs yesterday, so that confirmed it is a female!! The black spot was not there before yesterday and seems to be a bit faded here because the lights were just put on to take the photo. Apisto females dramatically colour up when spawning or fry minding but with this variety of agassizi the colour change was not that dramatic apart from the appearance of the black spot.

Here is the spouse, this variety is supposed to be \"Super Red\", I say supposed, as there are so many different names on Czeh bred fish with minimal differences it is hard to keep track. The male has taken to hiding at the back of the tank since the eggs were laid.

For comparison of females here is a Macmasteri female - not in breeding colour form.

Is that the \"pair\" you have shown or the same fish photographed twice? It looks like two females to me, but as I said I am no expert on ID'ing apistos.

Daragh
Last edit: 01 Aug 2008 02:02 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
31 Jul 2008 22:49 #8 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Cheers Darragh,i was hoping you'd reply,you're normally fairly good with id's,that top picture is the exact same as mineeven the black dot,and the centre one the same as the male,i've read that they can spawn after a water change,i changed about 60-70% of my water last night while changing it all around,maybe it has spawned,the male is nowhere to be found,he pops out for a few seconds then dissappears again where he used to be out and about all the time,time will tell,i'll just have to keep a close eye on them

Thanks

Paul

More
31 Jul 2008 22:58 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
PAULHARTE25 wrote:

Cheers Darragh,i was hoping you'd reply,you're normally fairly good with id's,....

:laugh: :laugh: Well I am glad the photo's helped, but it is really Johnh you have to thank, he is the one that sorts out my apistos when I mix them up :blush:

More
31 Jul 2008 23:00 #10 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Darragh,should have said,the two pictures are of the same fish,took me an hour to get them two pictures,my camera is crap,the male is the same as yours,beautiful fish,lovely blue sheen all down its body,i've got three pairs in the one tank(i know,i shouldn't)two super reds and one cockatoo,ended up with one pair of reds by accident,if they get too aggressive i'll move them to another tank i have running out in the shed

Paul

More
01 Aug 2008 01:58 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Paul defo female aggazzisi, your probably right re protecting eggs, hopefully you have some fry soon... best of luck with her

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds