Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My new SA project for this year....!!!

More
17 Jan 2011 21:39 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

Its great to be back...!!!

Ill be picking up my betta 1300 tank in a few weeks and ill be setting it up kinda like my old rio 400.

Im going down big community tank route again, and my main fish are gonna be some rare and unusal Apistogramma.

Considering ill have such and big tank im planning on have 3 different types of apistos, the idea is 1 male and 2-3 females of each. I know i could be pushing it a little with the amount of different females but the tank will be well broken up and have alot of different areas in it for hiding with caves over hangs etc.

Also ill have a huge bunch of shoaling fish maybe even two shoals, maybe rummies but would like something a liitle different any ideas.......?

Would love to get a nice L number plec something the will stay quite small no bigger then 8" again ideas....?

I also ill be getting some corys again :cheer: big bunch of them and again different types

Would love to add some more SA cichilds but would i be pushing it with the amount of Apistos i have in the tank...? And could anyone recommend some ...?

Not sure if ill run co2 yet, but ill have 4 T5's running on the tank. The tank has a sump on it so all equipment will be out of view.

Any ideas you have lets us know please

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2011 21:47 #2 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
could u put up any pics of apistogramma ta trish

More
17 Jan 2011 21:48 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok for another shoal other than rummies try peruvian blue tetras, or maybe lampeyes maybe even emporer tetras, for the L no maybe L128 blue phantom plec or l204's, corys if you can gossei or red venezulans...apistos maybe hongsloi, pandurini and mcmasteri

my 2 cents hope it helps
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
17 Jan 2011 21:58 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Have the Apistos kinda picked out goin for something a little different. Apistogramma trifasciata, Apistogramma elizabethae Super Red and Apistogramma beanschi Inca. Was in a sponsor shop today and was told they are all easily got : )

Do love the blue phantom plecs....!!!

What about some other cichilds i could add to the mix...?

Alan

More
17 Jan 2011 22:02 #5 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Ill email you trish with a link to some of the ones i have been looking at

More
17 Jan 2011 22:06 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I would suggest just one species of cory.I know its hard,with all the species avaiable today,but I have mixed tanks,and personally think a large shoal of one species looks a hell of a lot better.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
17 Jan 2011 22:11 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
hmmmm cichlids for a sa, need to be peaceful for what you want in it, how about Leatacara dorsigerus and curviceps, Aequidens diadema, Archocentrus multispinosa, festivum, Crenicichla Regani, Keyholes, Uarus , Angels , Discus, most Geos except G.Braziliensis, thats all i can think of that are relatively peaceful, hope it helps

More
17 Jan 2011 22:12 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
oh ya and Aequidens Metae

More
17 Jan 2011 22:13 #9 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
i checked them out wow really nice good luck the micro are so cute .

trish

More
17 Jan 2011 22:18 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Cheers man that gives me alot to read up on and have a look at now untill i get the tank and set it up right gettin stupidly excited know ha

Alan

More
17 Jan 2011 22:20 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
so many options ha ha ha bet your heads spinning now, ring the bank manager feel a fish loan coming on

More
17 Jan 2011 22:24 #12 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Yeah been looking up stuff all day gonna hit some of the shops again tomorrow starting to rack the miles...!!

Bank manager is loving me right now credit card is gonna get cut up very soon ha ha

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jan 2011 22:25 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: My new SA project for this year....!!!
I got hold of two L183 Plecos, Starlights or Ancistrus dolichopterus, stay small and are easy to maintain.

Kev.
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2011 22:30 #14 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Can i mix them with the apsito though...? really want to get apistos again they are my fav fish.

Would hate to mix the Apistos with other SA ciclhids and then have it all go wrong

Alan

More
17 Jan 2011 22:34 #15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
all the sa cichlids up there should be fine, they are all generally peaceful, but as with any fish you could get a rogue, just have a few hidy holes and they should be fine

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jan 2011 22:36 #16 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: My new SA project for this year....!!!
Yes, they are a totally amicable L number, they leave everything alone, mine share the 150 Liter with 5 or 6 Apistos, Dwarf Pygmys corys and Cardinals. oh oh and a myriad of Shrimp!.

Kev.

More
17 Jan 2011 22:37 #17 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I love festivums,but they will decimate any smaller fish,and plants will be ripped up and probably shredded.
I expect some will reply this is not true,in their experience,but both I and friends have experienced it.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
17 Jan 2011 22:43 #18 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Right looks like ive more reading and alot more driving to do over the next few weeks...!!!

Ill be looking at some other other cichlids to add to the tank along with an odd ball or two for something different.

As per usual lads and ladies you have been a great help again.. Il be keep this goin over the next while as i will have more questions on fish etc to mix.

Thanks again have a huge head ache now so much thinking to be done ha

More
17 Jan 2011 22:46 #19 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
glad to help confuse you, as for the headache take 2 aquariums and some water and you'll be fish fit in the morning lol

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds