Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Today In The Fishroom~2/19/11 F0 P. fredrichthali

More
20 Feb 2011 00:18 #1 by Aquamojo (Mo Devlin)
This fish is a very unusual variant of P. fredrichsthali that we collected from La Cieba, Honduras. when we first collected it we though it might be a new species of Parachromis...possibly Loiselle. Very beautiful
I had two pair of breeding fish. This F0 male killed his second mate. SO he is now a confirmed bachelor. The fish is about 12" long and by himself in a 100 gallon tank. I am considering bringing him to this years convention.

I used the three light flash setup with two on top and one on the bottom. The hardest part of this setup is getting the right amount of light...on the bottom of the fish. As you look at these you can see the photos where the light was evenly balanced and the ones where they are a little hot. In any case this setup always gives a unique quality to the photo.

Perfect lighting..

As the fish turns to check out the flash below, he flashed his beautiful fins. I spend a lot of time trying to get a picture of the fish with their fins open and extended. As such I get a LOT of photos that aren't open. It's a timing thing. What I do is get the fish's attention by touching the glass on the side of the tank he's not. As he rushes over to attack the finger I pull the hand back and he inevitably will stop...opening his fins. Too long and I have another picture of the fish turning...fins clamped.

Perfect lighting top and bottom..

Same here...but a little too much light underneath. You can see how I cleared the gravel back from the bottom of the tank to facilitate the light from below.

Not real fancy...but a nice side shot of the fish.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 06:37 #2 by jakepitbull (john)
real nice fish you got there ! ! !

More
20 Feb 2011 12:12 #3 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Stunning Mo, keep 'em comin dude.

Mick...:)

Follow me up to Carlow

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2011 12:19 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Really nice fish Mo. I just picked up a juvenile of this species a week ago and even at a couple of inches long it has presence. Something about it reminds me of a crocodile.

More
20 Feb 2011 12:34 #5 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Another good shoot.
Were getting lessons in photography aswell as seeing some stunning fish & photos
Thanks Aquamojo

More
21 Feb 2011 00:38 - 21 Feb 2011 00:43 #6 by Aquamojo (Mo Devlin)
Thanks.

2poc...I do see what you men. For a Freddie they have a very sleek profile. Head shape different then other Freddies. DId you get a Freddie from this location? La Cieba, Honduras?

This is the Freddie variant from Cenote Escondido, Mexico.

Last edit: 21 Feb 2011 00:43 by Aquamojo (Mo Devlin).

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds