Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

elliotti

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2011 23:35 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
elliotti was created by john gannon (john gannon)
i have a pair of ellioti in a 200ltr tank with 2 week old fry .the only other fish in the tank are 2 young african humpheads which i couldnt catch when i moved everything else out.both parents were doing a great job protecting fry but i came home this evening to find the male is now chasing the female away as well.do yous think its now time to move the fry or should i move the female
john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2011 23:39 #2 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re: elliotti
damn how this this end up here i was in could move it breeding section any chance john or valerie please

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2011 23:39 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: elliotti
Post moved to Central/South American Cichilds as it wasn't posted in the correct category.

Valerie :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2011 23:46 #4 by john gannon (john gannon)
thanks

More
27 May 2011 00:09 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: elliotti
John,
For what it's worth I would watch things carefully - but if you won't have time to be doing that, take out the female if the male is determined to violently reject her attentions towards the fry.
If they are anything as good at parenting as their close relatives the Firemouths the male will be well capable of looking after the fry...until they start to roam. At this point the male might (only might) lose interest and think of them as an early dinner.
At this point remove the male too - and those bloody other blockhead yokes (you might guess I'm not a fan of those) as they are pretty good at predating on anything they can get hold of! Or at least the ones I had were!
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2011 20:42 #6 by john gannon (john gannon)
when i went out the fish house last night i found the male had done a real job on the female took her out but unfortunatly she did not make it.this is on the second batch of fry ,as the first batch are in a grow out tank.what do i do now
[a]get rid of male and grow out some fry and breed from them
get rid of male keep some fry and try bring in some outside stock
or
[c]try to aquire a new female and try be more careful with her but probably lose her also as ill never know when hes going to turn
thanks in advance

More
01 Jul 2011 22:55 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic Re: elliotti
Sorry to hear about the female.
Options A or B are more likely your best bet.
It can be hard to pair up adults.
Unless you can source a few adult females, put them in their tank and then add him in.
The most popular method (as Im sure you know)suggests to get a batch to grow on and let pair off. So you have your batch already.

More
03 Jul 2011 12:51 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: elliotti

when i went out the fish house last night i found the male had done a real job on the female took her out but unfortunatly she did not make it.this is on the second batch of fry ,as the first batch are in a grow out tank.what do i do now
[a]get rid of male and grow out some fry and breed from them
get rid of male keep some fry and try bring in some outside stock
or
[c]try to aquire a new female and try be more careful with her but probably lose her also as ill never know when hes going to turn
thanks in advance

John,
I tend to agree with Justin here, but if it were me my choice would be to pass the male on, keep some fry/young but then attempt to get some more (around the same size) - ie your option 2 - in the hope of getting a pair from mixed strains. You might need to keep the two strains apart whilst growing as otherwise you could end up with a pair from a single strain (ie either from your ones, or the alternative ones) - while this wouldn't be the 'end of the world' it would defeat the object of trying to keep the strains independent until pairing.

I do have a rather nice male (I wonder where that came from?) which you could have if it might help, but the strain of that might well be the same as your ones?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Jul 2011 14:04 #9 by john gannon (john gannon)
yes john the male you have would be a brother of my murdering male
john
ps do you want another male

More
03 Jul 2011 17:33 #10 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic Re: elliotti
If I only got my shed or at the least fixed up the other tank, I'd be interested in him.
Actually I'll check on my fish in the second tank, if he's available to me ?

I've to move on some convicts from my main tank, but I think theres 2 firemouth pairs after forming. SO the only option would be the second tank with the 3 Cryptoheros Nanoluteus, 3 firemouths and a pleco aswell as a group of corys

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds