Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cory gurus out there ...help....

More
02 Apr 2013 19:19 #1 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Cleaned out my mums tank last week, the Cory's in it are so lively since, but I have a bit of a problem, the albino pair are spawning, came home from work eggs everywhere and they are still at it, amazing to watch. Truly something that I always wanted to See, but unfortunately I have no way of caring for them, I took some off the glass and put them in a floating plastic dish...NOw what.....we will see if I can get some to live, but need some help, my god they are sticky eggs, what is the best way t take them from the glass,,,,off to watch them spawning...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2013 19:30 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
to be honest i'd put it down to experience and maybe get them to breed in a controlled environment later

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Apr 2013 20:43 #3 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
i was thinking the same. but hey its hard to see the cats eat the eggs... i will breed them again hopefully

More
02 Apr 2013 21:08 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i know the feeling. i was delighted to see 2 of my bronze cories breeding over the weekend but there must have been so many eggs dispersed over the entire (planted) tank, it was probably futile for me to try and gather any of them! i might breed them at a later date though

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Apr 2013 21:13 #5 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
nice, i never saw the spawning dance before , female nuzzles the male and the female traps eggs between her fins and then puts them on the glass,, amazing to watch, u might be lucky and a few survive

More
02 Apr 2013 21:19 #6 by arabu1973 (. .)
When you'll drop i'll show you how to do it ;)

More
02 Apr 2013 21:51 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

nice, i never saw the spawning dance before , female nuzzles the male and the female traps eggs between her fins and then puts them on the glass,, amazing to watch, u might be lucky and a few survive

they'd be lucky in my tank. too many of the residents would relish eggs for brekkie :woohoo:

More
02 Apr 2013 21:52 - 02 Apr 2013 21:53 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)

When you'll drop i'll show you how to do it ;)

This is a family show, please confine this sort of thing to pm :P

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
Last edit: 02 Apr 2013 21:53 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
02 Apr 2013 21:55 #9 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
u are a funny guy, or maybe just a little twisted, hard to choose which one Acara.... ;)

More
02 Apr 2013 21:57 #10 by arabu1973 (. .)
Don't mind him he works long hours i'll have a word with him tomorrow when he'll drop....

More
08 Apr 2013 19:31 #11 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
5 hatched 2 still to hatch....rest of eggs went white ...so off tomorrow to get a trap.......ok what food to give them.. Will read about t after but any advice would be great.. I won't feed them till the egg sacs go..

More
13 Apr 2013 19:34 #12 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
7 litttle fry feeding well

More
14 Apr 2013 17:51 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Next time use a razor to remove them from glass...simple..use a dish or something under the razor to capture them as the slide off the glass.
Vary the food...keep the tank clean and enjoy them!

Gavin

More
14 Apr 2013 20:12 #14 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
A razor.. Good one, I am varying the crumble I feed them, they are doing well...thanks I will endeavor to have them for years.

More
14 Apr 2013 20:16 - 14 Apr 2013 20:17 #15 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Try some microworms also...they go nuts for that. Can be easily got on ebay or ask on the forum here and someone will help out.
As for the Razor..I meant a razor blade clearly! Thes ones you get for a stanley knife work perfect.
Gavin
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 20:17 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
14 Apr 2013 20:25 #16 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Thank you.. Micro worms interesting
I will have a look.. Even at less than a week old

More
14 Apr 2013 20:32 #17 by arabu1973 (. .)
Remind me about the microworms when you drop in wednesday

More
14 Apr 2013 20:37 #18 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)

More
15 Apr 2013 09:33 #19 by joey (joe watson)
well done on the babies! same happened to me with some sterbei it was a suprise spawn. then they kept doing it nearly every week (obviously they weren't married :dry: )

More
15 Apr 2013 16:58 #20 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
did u save the fry,,,,,,well maybe they had an open marraige

More
15 Apr 2013 17:16 #21 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
As with any cory, often a cool water partial change will trigger the corys.
Gavin

More
15 Apr 2013 20:57 #22 by joey (joe watson)

did u save the fry,,,,,,well maybe they had an open marraige

no they must have just been dating lol, sex stops with marriage its part of the contract is it not?

tried to save the fry, but when downsizing my number of tanks a few years ago they had to go in the one tank with the rest of the fish i was keeping...

More
18 Apr 2013 19:57 #23 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
another 100 eggs courtesy of my peppered corys....eggs now in livebearer trap...with 7 fry from albinos...whats going on in that tank..lol :whistle:

More
24 Apr 2013 08:05 - 24 Apr 2013 08:06 #24 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Now a word to the Wise, please do not put newly laid eggs in with week old Cory fry, because all u get is fat Cory fry and only a few newly hatched fry...
Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 08:06 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
24 Apr 2013 12:16 #25 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
That it's what I believe they call a learning curve!

More
24 Apr 2013 13:47 #26 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
yes in deed, will lower the temp tonight, increase water flow and see what happens

More
24 Apr 2013 14:34 #27 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Btw, put half a dozen or so plant pots in my firemouth tank and have left the lights off. They're still a bit shy but the male in particular has darkened considerably to the classic firemouth colours, so thanks for the tip

More
24 Apr 2013 20:08 #28 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
I am sure they will be fine....just need some privacy, i dont much like doing the fan dango in public either. Just secured a house today so will have busy weeks ahead,,,but i havent forgotten about ur BN male...

More
24 Apr 2013 20:22 #29 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers mate. The female has been on her Sweeney for at least 18 months, so she's used to the single life :lol:

More
24 Apr 2013 21:19 #30 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
she will be gagging for it, i reckon 2 weeks after he gets in there...ur tank will be infested

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds