Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pleco I.D

More
30 Mar 2015 11:40 #1 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Pleco I.D was created by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Any Ideas People?

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2015 17:31 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Its some kind of common anancistrius I would say.
Gavin

More
30 Mar 2015 21:39 #3 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Replied by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold) on topic Pleco I.D
Yeah I would agree. female

More
30 Mar 2015 21:54 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If it starts to develop bristles as it gets older then its a male but as you say Paul it looks like its female in the pic and Id say it seems old enough to have developed some bristles by now if it was a male. Stem try giving some cucumber and she will Love it.
Gavin

More
30 Mar 2015 21:55 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If it starts to develop bristles as it gets older then its a male but as you say Paul it looks like its female in the pic and Id say it seems old enough to have developed some bristles by now if it was a male. Stem you prob know it already but try giving some cucumber and she will love it.
Gavin

More
31 Mar 2015 10:07 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Pleco I.D
Having looked at the pictures again I'm not altogether convinced that this is actually an Ancistus. My vote would go for the plain old 'common-or-garden' Pleco - what used to be known as Plecostomus plecostomus, which later became reclassified as Hypostomus.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Mar 2015 11:06 #7 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Pleco I.D
Thanks for the replys lads, Honestly im still unsure, The reason ive asked this post is that she is in the tank alone (only pleco), I did buy this pleco about 2 years ago with another one of her type and as far as i know they were called 'Bulldog plecos' by a SH worker.. Only today tho i noticed during breakfast feeding time that she kind of snorted or 'bubbled' her mouth at that point i noticed little tiny bristle like things in her cheeks as she bubbled up her mouth..?
Id love to see her with a male because she is quite shy and keeps to herself except during feeding times the scurrys back to her large bog wood..

Again thanks for the replys,

Stephen.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
06 Apr 2015 00:04 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Replied by platty252 (Darren Dalton) on topic Pleco I.D
My guess egg bound female AncistrusSp. bristle nose pleco.
You should pick her up a mature male.

I have lost plecos in the past from not having a male around.
Some times the female cant release the eggs or reabsorb them. This can be fatal.
This usually happened me with plecos that were harder to get , so I had no males.
I never experienced it with any Ancistrus, but I've always had males with them.

More
07 Apr 2015 23:50 #9 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Pleco I.D
Thanks Darren For the Info, Do you have any mature male's in SH>? Or do you know where i could get one?

Stephen.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds