Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The Power of an Electric Catfish...

More
25 Jan 2008 13:58 - 25 Jan 2008 14:05 #1 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Arrived home last night with a new electric catfish. He was a freebie as the shop was very keen to get rid of him.

I had a two foot African Biotope tank set up for him but when I arrived home the heater had gone in the tank (thats elite heaters for you, buy Jager folks!)

So with nowhere to put him and all shops closed I had no choice but to float him in one of my other tanks til the morning.

I put him into my tank containg a 2'+ Anguilla Eel and two 8\" (ish) golden cobra snakeheads.

I rolled down his bag, slowly changed most of his water and added some zeolite to deal with whatever waste he created. With everyone happy, I went to bed.

Now I should mention, this catfish is barely 2\" long.

I got up this morning and went to check the tank, It was quite a sight.

I was greeted by 2 snakeheads crammed into one 6\" fish bag, floating around the top of the tank. And one 2 foot eel lying in my built in overhead trickle filter!

The catfish meanwhile swam happily around his new spacious aquarium.

The cat obviously got out after I had went to bed and provoked or otherwise, stunned the much much larger fish and had them run off like big pussycats themselves.

Happy-Ending though, its now in its own tank and the other fish are swimming around, eating and seem completely none the worse for the experience.

It just goes to show what these guys can do. I knew they packed a bit of a kick from having watched someone attempt to perform a skin scrape on one once, but seeing these other much larger, supposedly aggressive fish get owned by it was still pretty awe-inspiring.

Here is a good profile on the species for anyone interested;
www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=86

On a side note, I just took the guy because I felt sorry for him, while I am happy to keep him I would also be happy to pass him on to anyone with the facilities to look after him properly. PM me if your interested.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2008 14:05 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2008 14:28 #2 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:The Power of an Electric Catfish...
Interesting stuff!
I know a guy that caught an electric ray off a beach down in Waterford & got a fair shock off it too. The ray was over a hundred pounds in weight though!

Out of curiousity - re: the Anguilla Eel you mention - is this a native eel?

More
25 Jan 2008 21:42 #3 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
No this one is Anguilla marmorata, the giant mottled eel, which is a tropical species. From the Indo-Pacific area mostly. Wouldn't survive our weather.

Anguilla Anguilla is our native species.

More
04 Feb 2008 21:54 #4 by johnnysam79 (john sammon)
i have had an electric catfish for about a year and a half now, i have him in with 2 oscars a plec and 3 other south american chiclids, as he is predominatly nocturnal i can realy only see him on the rare occasion but ive never noticed him bullying any of the other fish he is about 6 inches long now and will eat anything he can fit in his mouth. interesting fish tough, unfortunatly they tend not to breed to well in captivity

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2008 17:00 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:The Power of an Electric Catfish...
johnnysam79 wrote:

i have had an electric catfish for about a year and a half now, i have him in with 2 oscars a plec and 3 other south american chiclids, as he is predominatly nocturnal i can realy only see him on the rare occasion but ive never noticed him bullying any of the other fish he is about 6 inches long now and will eat anything he can fit in his mouth. interesting fish tough, unfortunatly they tend not to breed to well in captivity

I recon if they did breed the sparks would fly......
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok is was not that funny.

More
26 Feb 2008 18:51 #6 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
What size is your e-cat in relation to the other fish in the tank?

I dont think its a matter of bullying, the catfish probably felt threatened being in with fish that were so much bigger than it and shocked them in self defense.

I have seen them in with fish of a similar size without problems, but if they feel threatened or are bullied they can do a lot of damage.

More
26 Feb 2008 19:31 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I missed the original post, sounds like the little guy can pack a punch.

I watched the Flooded Forest the other night and there was footage of an EC stunning a cichlid and then dining on it, appently the local believe it can shock trees to make the fruit fall, but it has not been proven, interesting thought though.

What size is he (or her) now?

More
27 Feb 2008 00:12 #8 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Its about 3-4\" now Daragh, still only a baby. He's really cute at this size but only a mother could love them when they get to adult-hood. Wharf aquatics have had an 18\"-24\" one for a while now, I can only imagine what a shock from one that size could do.

They are very interesting fish though, the Egyptians believed them to have healing powers and depicted them in their drawings etc.

I didnt see the program you mention, what channel or when is it on?

More
13 Mar 2008 22:22 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
It is an old program, I had on video, don't think it has been released on DVD. Narrated by Anthony Hopkins of all people.

More
31 Mar 2008 09:54 #10 by goldy (goldy .)
wouldnt like to put my hand into that tank. you might get more then you bargained for...

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds