Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

cuckoo syno

More
25 Apr 2008 20:00 #1 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
hello,

think I have a cuckoo syno, looks very like the pics on planet catfish and loves his meat based food....ie. bloodworms.

However, he hides alot and only really comes out for a nosey when he thinks no one is about, or there's food. (also have another syno that is even shyer than this, will only come out for food when all lights are off and if he wants to move during lights on does so at great, great speed!he's like cuckoo with darker markings, no white on fins and has two black feelers that point outwards, if anyone has any clues would be great, unfortunatly cannot get picture for the mentioned reasons and think trying to catch him for a photo is bit of unnecessary stress for us both.)

back to cuckoo, really like this catfish and was wondering if I kept him as part of a group of mayb 6-10 would they all swimming together and be more visable in the tank???also what fish would be recommend to keep with them...have corys, bristle nose, 2 dwarf gourami and few others in tank at mo. was thinking of gettting angels and african butterfly and some loach... can regig any of the fish I already have if needed.

I heard they're good with some chilids, which ones???

would be great to see any photos anyone has too!!

Orla.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 20:05 #2 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Oh the mystery syno is also bit fatter, or bit bulkier of a build than they cuckoo. and it's face is a different shape.

More
25 Apr 2008 21:22 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:cuckoo syno
The problem with a lot of Synodontis Catfish now is that they are being hybridised, intentionally or otherwise, and many imported species aren't any longer what they're supposed to be!

I have Synodontis Petricola which, I hope and believe, are true ones...I bought a further two last year and they most certainly aren't !!!

So, you might even find that your 'mystery' fish turns out to be one of these dreaded hybrids!

In the main Synos prefer harder more alkaline water than some of your existing fish but if they're showing no signs of discomfort I shouldn't unduly worry.

Synos are usually kept with Malawis and Tanganyikan Cichlids - indeed that's the reason for the 'Cuckoo' common name for one of yours, some will sit on the sidelines when the Cichlids spawn and before the female Cichlid gets the chance to pick up the eggs they will dart in, eat those eggs and replace them with eggs of their own! These are then carried dilgently by the female Cichlid in the mistaken belief that they are her own eggs! If I remember rightly a video was posted a couple of weeks back showing this happening in real life.
To your other question, yes, they will become 'bolder' if you have a shoal of them but not so bold as to be 'out and about' at all times, at least mine aren't. I also have four Featherfin Synos too (Euruptus) and their behaviour is somewhat similar...although, having said that, they are first in the queue when food enters their tank! Then they become very boisterous, less assertive fish get physically shoved to one side!
Great fish, though - for all that.

Good luck,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Apr 2008 22:19 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Check out this video, Cuckoo spawning synos and the cichlid mother:

More
26 Apr 2008 16:24 #5 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
seen video before.It's very good though and funny.

Think mystery syno, could be a hybrid. not half as pretty as cuckoo, and was cheaper. think I'll watch out for a few friends for him, where would you recommend to get good ones?? (North or west dublin area)

More
12 May 2008 20:51 - 15 May 2008 16:53 #6 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
File Attachment:

s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/oog1111...ckooornotaCuckoo.flv
Hi folks,

just wondering if ye reckon this is a Cuckoo synodontis?
Last edit: 15 May 2008 16:53 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady).

More
15 May 2008 17:02 #7 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
just wondering if people can get to view video? or is there a prob, not the best with these links etc.

More
15 May 2008 18:30 - 15 May 2008 18:37 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:cuckoo syno
I have two multis and yours looks different. Mine don't have spots on the tail and the spots up around the head are smaller. I would say yours isn't a Synodontis multipunctatus (that's assuming mine are). Mine exactly resemble the fish in the video Daragh posted above.

I'll try and post a picture of mine later. As you said, they don't show themselves too often so it will be a challenge.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 15 May 2008 18:37 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds