Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Where can i get some breeding caves for my BN

More
10 Jul 2008 20:41 #1 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
Where can i get some breeding caves for my bristlenose or is it possible to make them.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2008 21:32 #2 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
if you drill a hole about 1.5inches diameter & 4inches
deep in a piece of bogwood this will suit your bristlenose.
they might even breed in it if your lucky.
phil

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2008 21:54 #3 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Where can i get some breeding caves for my BN
You could also use 1/2 a coconut shell with a little door cut out ... I used the dremmel with a mini angle-grinding disc for mine - worked a treat! :-)

Easy and cheap - I was well advised B) !!!

Valerie

More
10 Jul 2008 22:11 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
If they are upmarket BN's with an eye on what the Jones' are doing, check www.zuchthoehlen.eu/index.php?main_page=products_all and click on the English symbol.

Coconuts do the job just as well though.

More
10 Jul 2008 22:31 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
All good suggestions that work.
Bristlenose pleco's are not fussy about the size of cave they have unlike a lot of other pleco's so you will get away with using anything that is aquarium safe and is hollow. An aquarium ornament that is hollow can be turned on it's side.
A terracotta flower pot (new)cut down the middle works well. I am using this at the moment to breed some starlights.
A couple of pieces of rock stacked to make a cave.
You could also cut some slate and silicone it together to make the cave's.

Darren.

More
11 Jul 2008 02:45 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi BJHillson
Quite easy to make these things, i have made and bought many items in search of the perfect cave some which have been successful have been 1) a cleaned out Nuttella snack container with gravel siliconed to it so it looked more natural in the tank, the same thing with Muller yogurt containers with a hole cut in in, but my best success was with the caves they sell for reptiles to hide in, got that idea from Gavin in Aquapaws and it worked well otherwise here are some diy links
www.myfishtank.net/forum/do-yourself/52175-diy-pleco-caves.html
www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/99.asp
www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/87.asp

and if your feeling mega confident
www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
11 Jul 2008 17:10 #7 by komalley (K OM)
Hi Folks!

On a slightly deiiferent note.....

I have a bit of an algae problem in my 200l community tank. A recomendation is to 'make a plec's day' and let one loose on the afore mentioned problem. Any advice on which to get and is he/she likely to take a fancy to my plants?

kom :P

More
11 Jul 2008 20:53 #8 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
Some good ideas, i may have to fish out my bogwood and try to drill them,

More
11 Jul 2008 22:11 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
BJ one tip on drilling bog wood. It is a lot easier to drill when it is totally dry.

@ Kom. I have some young starlight bristlenose at the moment. I find them fine with plants.

Darren

More
11 Jul 2008 22:14 #10 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
KOM Bristlenose are good algae cleaners and dont get too big unlike some of the plecs.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds