Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mystus Leucophasis (Asian upsidedown catfish)

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2008 12:29 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Anyone ever keep these?

www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=115

Supposed to do well with mbuna.
Stunning looking fish, jet black with white flecks behind the pectoral fins.

I bought one yesterday & have him in quarantine at the moment along with a Palembang puffer.
He was an 'unknown' in the shop so I got him cheap. The fish is 6 inches+

He'll be going into my 400 litre cichlid tank when I have it set up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2008 12:54 #2 by stan (stan)
2POC,

these a class fish, i kept one in a communtiy tank for about six months and when i changed over to mbuna he took to the change no problems, very rarely saw it for months once the rocks went in but when i started feeding the mbunas frozen cichlid mix he was out in a shot, also goes mad for the new life spectrum cichlid mix too, i have a video saved of him feeding if i can load it up i will,

he has a few shreads in his dorsal fin not sure if its from being hassled or just goin in and out of his cave but doesnt seem to bother him either way

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2008 12:57 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Mystus Leucophasis (Asian upsidedown catfish)
Nice one Stan - what size is he? Any problems with him eating the mbuna?

I'm in two minds whether to keep him or get rid of him in case he takes to eating all of my fish.

More
01 Sep 2008 13:27 #4 by stan (stan)
2POC,

he is about the same size as yours, when i placed him in with the mbuna they were only an inch and half and he didnt even look at them. for a while i didnt even know he was eating cause he just never came out. the only squabbles he has in with my syno erupteus and thats handbags at dawn stuff.

i havent had any trouble with them at all and your tank would be at a loss without it, the trick is just getting the little gits to come out

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2008 15:16 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Mystus Leucophasis (Asian upsidedown catfish)
Excellent - hopefully he'll work out. I fed New Life Spectrum last night but can't be sure that he came
out to feed. There were a few small fry in the same tank so I'm hoping he didn't snack on them instead...

I'm calling him a 'he' but I havent actually tried to sex him - from what I read they are easy to sex.
Do you know whether yours is definitely male or female?

If I need to get rid & we have a male/female each would you be interested in taking him?
I'd let him go for the same as I paid (15 quid which I think is a Steal!)

More
01 Sep 2008 15:53 #6 by stan (stan)
2poc,

i reckon he might pick off a few of the fry, havent a clue if mine is male or female but the next time i am doing a rescape on the tank i will see if i can sex it but if ya wanna get rid of him i will take it off ya no bother,

the video i was talkin about earlie is an mp4 from my mobile so if ya wanna pm your email i will send it on to ya,

stan

More
01 Sep 2008 17:58 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Interesting catfish! I think they may eat a few fry if they are small enough. They do hide alot,they arent fond of bright light I think. So you might wanna place some cork bark or floating plants on the surface. The fish will hide beneath these.
Also a strange name that they have but in truth few actually swim upside down!
Gavin

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2008 08:05 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Fishowner wrote:

Also a strange name that they have but in truth few actually swim upside down!
Gavin

Really? The one I have swims upside down all of the time, I thought they were one of few species that are 'true' upside down swimmers.

All of my fry are still in one piece as of today anyway, here's hoping he's eating the pellets that I fed instead...

More
02 Sep 2008 09:44 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well I think there are only two types who are true upside down swimmers.Alot of others are put into the same category but never actually swim upside down.Ill check it out better and come back on it.
Gavin

More
02 Sep 2008 10:04 #10 by stan (stan)
2poc, emailed that video to ya hoperfully you will be able to open in it, let me know if there is any problems with it,
i thought i had a better video of it but ya can still see hoe eager it is at feeding time.

@ fishowner,
most of the time mine spends its time swimming upside down except at feeding time where it reverts to normal swimming mode although i have seen it feeding upside down which is very weird to watch. maybe its just each indivdual fish with prefered feeding methods

stan

More
02 Sep 2008 11:21 #11 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
AFAIK only the true upside down catfish-synodontis nigriventris and the asian upside down- mystus leucophasis, swim upside down most of the time, however some other synos-nigrata, eupterus etc. do swim quiet alot upside down when juvs. but as adult swim normally!!!
Also, the true upside down catfish only gets @ 3-4\", so when someone says they have a larger upside down its most likely nigrata that can reach 8\"+!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds